What Should a Hyperacusis/Tinnitus Sufferer Do After Being Exposed to a Loud Noise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alessandro Rossi, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Alessandro Rossi
      Musical

Alessandro Rossi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2011
      Hi to all,

I suffer from both hyperacusis & tinnitus, and this morning I forgot my ear plugs and had to go to a building site... suddenly a super loud drill perforated my brain and I couldn't escape because a colleague needed my support. A couple of minutes that lasted hours for me.

Now I feel weird , slight ear pain, strong tinnitus, but I'm worried about next days. Usually after these traumas the worst comes after some days.

What do you suggest to do to at least appease this little drama? Some headache painkiller? To stay in the total silence? To listen to sound enrichment/waterfalls?

Thanks in advance... Obviously now I hate myself so much for forgetting the plugs, and I'm worried this forgetfulness worsened my condition, after months where I have been very careful.

2. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Rest my ears and drink vodka.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      Hi Alessandro Rossi. It's important to take anti-inflammatory medicine if you're worried about a possible spike after noise trauma. You can think of curcumine (other word is curcuma), N-Acetylcysteine (NAC), l-Arganine and magnesium. I had a new tone a few weeks ago after an audiogram test, took some of these pills and gone was the new tone.

• Like Like x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alessandro Rossi
      Musical

Alessandro Rossi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2011
      Thank you for your feedback. I just stopped at a drugstore and took curcuma, ginkgo and magnesium supplements,as well as ibuprofen based painkiller. Quite sure it will take months to recover a bit of noise disconfort level, anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Silence or music at low volume and a few weeks of resting your ears.

If you want to try meds, try Deflazacort. For me it makes symptoms related to hyperacusis a bit better.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      If you want to adjust your diet try salads, smoked salmon with lemon, and add raw garlic to meals. These things somehow help with hearing distress. If you search for diets focused on hearing health, it is basically vegetables and salads, fish, antioxidants and anti inflammatory foods (curcumin root, ginger root...) It makes a difference, especially if hearing problems are recent.

7. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I am curious, because I know in the past you have said prednisone did nothing for you. How was your experience with Deflazacort different?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      For some reason Deflazacort does something. It takes the edge off hyperacusis and I think to a certain extent must be beneficial, in my particular case. An ENT who also had hearing problems recommended it. It does not solve hyperacusis but for me it helps. I have one pill per day, 30mg, for a week or 10 days, after really bad noise accidents. It seems to solve the inflammation / pressure quite fast.

In theory Deflazacort 30 mg is less strong than an equal dose of prednisone, but for me prednisone does nothing to help with hyperacusis and Deflazacort works a bit.

I think with meds one sometimes has to experiment, try one, try another, until finding the right one. Doctors say this happens a lot with anti inflammatories, for instance.