What Sort of Tinnitus Is This?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mark Griffin, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Ok, i have been messing around with my T today and have noticed something strange. I have a lower tone which is like a tonal vibration, it's strange and its like a resonance which also reacts. If i nod, it increases with the nod, if i shake my head, it does the same. However, i i put my hand over my ear, the sound is not detectable even when nodding or shaking head. Whats stranger is that when i remove my hand, the buzz is almost gone but starts creeping up again until it's temporarily much worse than before before settling to base again. What on earth is that?

Cheers in advance all

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Anyone? I appreciate it's a strange one so not surprised at the 0 replies :)

3. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      I have no idea...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Ha, that makes two of us

5. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      Do you have fullness in your ears? Have you seen an ENT? Maybe you have liquid behind your eardrum... I have that in summer (pollen) and i know that my hearing is dececre in this period but to be honest i can just talk about myself...

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Well the doctor says my ears are fine. Seeing an ENT next month so will see. It's just such a strange thing

7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Mark Griffin,

There is such a thing as "reactive tinnitus". I have that when I hear certain sounds. Those sounds seem to make the tinnitus more intense, like a vibration.

I also have a high, hissing tone, plus a pulsating tone. The pulsating feels like a vibration. You could have something like that, or you could have tensor tympani syndrome, which is a sort of muscle spasm. I'm no expert, and those are just some suggestions.

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/tinnitus/tensor tympani and stapedius myoclonus tinnitus.html

I'm glad you're going back to your doctor, and maybe he will provide some clues. Write down your questions, after doing a little bit of research. That is the best advice I can offer.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think the bottom line is that the auditory system does lots of strange things, and even for people "without" tinnitus, if they begin putting a ton of attentive energy into their ears, they will start to experience abnormalities. So, for people with tinnitus, the same thing happens and is then exacerbated by the anxiety we often have about our condition.

I have noticed a low frequency sound with pressure sensation often; it does seem to change with head movement, and is often especially pronounced first thing in the morning when I do my breath meditation.

It does not alarm me, or bother me nearly as much as the high frequency sounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Thanks Karen, it certainly reacts to certain frequencies. It's a very strange thing which i think is exasperated by the anxiety of not knowing what causes it, the usual vicious circle.

Yes i think i may well have a lot to do with it. I had a very bad spike in anxiety a few weeks back and the focus i was putting into the ears was ridiculous. My hearing was far more reactive them, even the tv at a low level was sending both ears into reactive T.

10. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I think anxiety has a lot to do with it, too. Distraction has been one of the best cures for me; try to find ways to keep your mind distracted so that you don't think about it.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Completely agree, just got to tell my mind that! Got CBT soon so will hopefully change my thought patterns.