What Sounds, Sensations or Feelings Do You Experience When Doing the Valsalva?

Discussion in 'Support' started by martinberryhorse, Jan 4, 2022.

1. martinberryhorse

martinberryhorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 5, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One hard cough
      I am trying to figure out what is going on with my ears and Eustachian tubes. I have a strange sensation when I do the Valsalva where my right ear will snap open like it is unsticking itself from being closed, and the left one will crackle and pop as though it is opening section by section. It's hard to explain in words but the left and right are acting completely differently, and have been this way for 2.5 years now.

I'm not sure what the Valsalva is supposed to feel like in a normal and healthy person.

If anyone is willing to try to explain their experience when doing the Valsalva I would be very grateful, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Dann_sheep
      Worried

Dann_sheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July-August/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm currently experiencing ETD. I have fluid and pressure in my ears, along with pressure on my face, jaw, and neck as well.

When I do the Valsalva, sometimes it sounds as if I was inflating a balloon, you know the "air" sound. I also hear some crackles.

But obviously I'm not healty so who knows.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      Even if I do it really lightly, it hurts. I can barely blow my nose without pain.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Sointu
      No Mood

Sointu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (also maybe med withdrawal)
      I tried doing a Valsalva maneuver gently a couple of days ago. Afterwards, my hyperacusis spiked, I am experiencing pain below my ear (Eustachian tubes?) and my ear fullness has increased. I don't know if the spiking of these these symptoms is connected to trying the Valsalva maneuver. I have tried it in the past too, and it triggered high pitched ringing for some time. I also feel like my left and right ear reacts differently when I do the Valsalva maneuver. My right ear also snaps open quickly but left ear reacts later in a similar way you described.

I think I have Eustachian tube dysfunction.

I hope I did not do any harm for my ears. I am scared of the hyperacusis spike. Not going to try Valsalva maneuver anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Lurius
      Sad

Lurius Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      Valsalva is what gave me tinnitus in the first place, so I don't do it anymore.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Marshall
      Anime

Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/virus/loud noise/antibiotics
      Same. I started with normal tinnitus in my left ear, and then valsalva’d my right ear into tinnitus. And now I have distortions and pain, and that ear turns bright red multiple times a day. Multiple ENTs have no idea.

• Hug Hug x 1