What to Do Next? I May Need an MRI Scan

Discussion in 'Support' started by monkey legs, Feb 6, 2018.

1. monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      After quite negative experiences with doctors and the ENT, I'm kind of stuck on what to do next. I think I may need an MRI scan to rule out anything structural going on with the ears/head/sinus etc.

Trouble is I am completely claustrophobic. Does anyone know if they can put you to sleep before a MRI scan. This is the only way I could get through it.

Thanks.

2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      They can. Our MRI people anesthetize children, the intellectually disabled, and lastly, the very, very claustrophobic. It can be done, the question is would they, not can they.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      I dont see why they wouldnt. Im sure they would want me to be as comfortable as possible.

Thanks.

4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Some mild sedation would probably do it.

5. Peter Dohrn

Peter Dohrn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustical trauma
      Be careful getting an MRI. I had moderate tinnitus, then was told by ENT to get MRI to check and see if I had tumors, which may be the cause of the tinnitus. The MRI lasted 40 minutes, upon getting done, my tinnitus was off the chart. Has been 4 months and no sign of relief, my original tinnitus was nothing compared to what I have now. Be very careful, MRI's are extremely noisy, and can cause severe damage. Of course imagining office said, they never had this situation happen before. Which makes me believe that the hearing protection they provided me was not properly placed. At the end of it, they apologized and said there is nothing they can do, sorry.

6. John Sullivan

John Sullivan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi,

Newbie here,

This forum is awesome...I had no idea this "T" was so common!

I have T in my left ear. The ENT center suggested an MRI and my GP agreed because its only in one ear with an occasional blip in the right ear that quickly fades. Been going on about 6 mos. The MRI is a $700 co pay for me! Are they always 100% accurate? Can't decide. On the fence. I am not experiencing any other side effects...headaches, vertigo, nausea...The concern is that I really have no way of telling how/why this started? Someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

7. Jack Mccarthy

Jack Mccarthy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      airplane flight cabin pressure
      No open MRIs where your located?

8. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      As T is very prone to any form of anxiety or stress I think it's important to follow the medical track along with any other coping methods. Morbid fears are amongst the biggest stressors, so it's best to satisfy yourself that there are no sinister issues.

Having said all that, acoustic neuromas are very very rare.

When I had my MRI scan it was quite noisy but they played nice music through the headphones. There was also a button you can press if you need to 'escape' or have any problems. So I'd just go for it and chill out in the machine. I found it quite an interesting experience actually.

I had another MEI scan later for back issues. They gave me loose fitting trousers to wear inside the machine (my jeans had metal studs on them!). When I walked past the waiting room to get changed back, the bloomin trousers fell down in front of everyone. That's about the only bad experience I have had with MRI scans...

9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Nothing is 100% accurate, but it's still the best way that I know to rule out an acoustic neuroma.

10. John Sullivan

John Sullivan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the feed back.