What Was the Last Movie You Watched? What Did You Think about It?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Pamela, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Pamela

Pamela Member

Over the past week, my husband and I have been deep into a mindless, stress-free, laugh riot comedy movie marathon... Step Brothers, Old School, Super Troopers, Jay and Silent Bob, Billy Madison, and Couples Retreat. We haven't been encouraging brain cell growth obviously, but we've been laughing our asses off and relaxing :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      The Next Three Days

Superb, one of the best movies I've seen this year. Russel Crowe shines like always, you could really empathize with his character's situation. I love Elizabeth Banks and this is maybe the best role she's delivered.

A really tense film and the 2 hours+ went by quickly. The beginning of the movie (like the first 30 minutes) is slower paced than the rest, but still very effective in creating the atmosphere.

Highly recommended. :)

3. rogerg

rogerg Member

I saw Black Swan last night. A genre film, but suspect the filmmakers would be embarrassed to admit any association. Quite a good film, very dark and intense. Darren Aronofsky uses a lot of claustrophobic close-ups and strange angles to pull you into the deluded fantasy. Natalie Portman gives an excellent, Oscar worthy performance, portraying a fragile, neurotic personality. Barbara Hershey is creepy as Potman's emotionally manipulative mother. Not a film I would show to any young, aspiring ballerinas.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. BlackMuddler

BlackMuddler Member

Last night I finally watched "Juno" wich has been on my list for some time now.
      I loved it, it's funny yet touching and Ellen Page does a great job there!
      I recomend it :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Deliverance (1972)

First time I saw this, shame on me (this being somewhat a classic and all), but I didn't think this was that great... The first 30 minutes or so were pretty slow, and in a weird way funny/easy-going. The banjo/guitar-scene was kind of awesome, and creepy at the same time.

This wasn't so much of an action movie like the River Wild (which I loved 15+ years ago when I saw it, should watch it again), but it had its sequences of thrill.

Anyways, if only for Jon Voight and Burt Reynolds, this movie is a recommended watch for many :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. DiDDo

DiDDo Member

Full Metal Jacket which is one of my personal favorites. It's one of the few movies I can watch over and over again without being bored. Also, there are so many priceless quotes.

7. bertson

bertson Member

I saw "Nurse Betty" on TV last night... it has certainly aged (no cell phones shown) and it wasn't the bittersweet romantic comedy I was expecting it to be (I didn't know what it was about). It was more of a dark comedy, but it was very weird as well. But I'm a huge Renee fan, it's probably the only film of hers I hadn't seen. And she was great, as expected. She won a Golden Globe for it.

8. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      "Exit Through the Gift Shop" produced by street artist Banksy. Very interesting documentary look at the street artist's world. Nominated for Oscar for best documentary. Highly entertaining.

9. Allevous

Allevous Member

Wild Target a week ago.

Lovely chemistry of romance between Nighy and Blunt and you really care about the characters and that is what makes this movie so special. It's also surprisingly touching as the transition from romance to drama to comedy is handled seamlessly blending lovely together. The story (even if basic) is good enough and the storyline is structured beautifully with sharpness and wit embedded within. A must see British comedy that is one of a kind, :)

10. Allevous

Allevous Member

The Last Samurai
      Some cliche moments, but the acting and overall direction make it one of the better 'guy goes in to fight a battle, then realizes the other side has it right' stories I've seen.

11. rogerg

rogerg Member

Knight and Day -one of the best action comedies of late, WATCH IT! :)

12. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Last night I watched The King's Speech, and oh my. I did have high expectations and they all were fulfilled. Witty script, flawless casting.

Wonderful entertainment! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

13. Svein

Svein Member

Wife, daughter and I saw "Sabrina" with Audrey Hepburn last night. Those eyes!

14. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Unknown, starring Liam Neeson. Reminded me of Bourne Identity. A good action/thriller anyways, not something you talk about a year later but swell entertainment.

15. Emma

Emma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      What is your favorite movie genre? What are your favorite movies?

16. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Emma,
      Very timely question, since this is Oscar night!

I especially enjoy romantic comedies, such as "Silver Linings Playbook", and musicals, like "Les Miserables". A good well-acted drama, like "Lincoln" is enjoyable, too. There are also many classics that I love, such as "It Happened One Night", "Gone With the Wind", "The Graduate", and others too numerous to mention.

It will be interesting to see which movie takes Best Picture tonight! This year, there have been some good ones to choose from.

17. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      i don't have a favorite genre. i really enjoy thrillers, but most genres have a gem or two.

here are my top 10 favorite movies off the top of my head, in no particular order.

1. No Country For Old Men
      2. Pulp Fiction
      3. The Departed
      4. Spirited Away (reminds me of dreams i had when i was a kid.)
      5. Dazed & Confused
      6. The Shawshank Redemption
      7. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
      8. Kill Bill (Vol 1 &2)
      9. Fargo
      10. Star Wars (all 3 originals)

18. wayne paul
      Sporty

wayne paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I lyke a good gangster film lyke goodfellers or scarface or boxing films lyke Rocky or raging bull but do lyke a good comedy aswell

19. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Great question!
      1. Five Easy Pieces
      2. The Family Man
      3. The Time Machine (1960)
      4. Back to the Future I and II
      5. Awakenings
      6. Definitely Maybe
      7. Moonstruck
      8. The Emmigrants
      9. Contact
      10. Superman I
      11. Young Frankenstein
      12. A Christmas Story

On a separate note, I can't believe that "The Impossible" didn't get much recognition at the Academy Awards. Best movie I saw last year.

20. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree, Karl! I recently saw "The Impossible", too, and thought it was very good. Naomi Watts definitely deserved some recognition for her role in that movie, as did the entire cast. The boy who played the oldest son was particularly good; I understand he had been on Broadway (or was it London's West End?) in the role of "Billy Elliott". A well-done movie!

21. sharon

sharon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mmm.. I like a mixed bag really, some of these are really old but kust because they are please don't think I am too ll

Ghost and Mrs Muir
      Billy Elliott
      Time Machine:yep the 1960's one of course!
      Blithe Spirit.
      East is East
      Bridget Jones
      Hot Fuzz
      Shaun of the dead
      Love affair remember
      You've got mail
      A yankee in King Arthur's co
      And Jane Eyre: Joan Fontaine and Orson welles
      War of the World 1950 or was it 60's

I was brought out watching the old black and white films, hense why they are on there. I did go and see Les Mes, when it came out and found it amazing!

22. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Sharon,
      I love a lot of the movies you have on your list, too! It's hard to beat the older classics.

Wasn't Les Mis great? I can't get that music out of my head. (It even made me forget my tinnitus for awhile while I was watching it!):D

23. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Unordered list:

Full Metal Jacket
      Léon
      American Beauty
      Heat
      Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
      Rain Man
      Forrest Gump
      Gran Torino
      The Green Mile
      Fargo
      Batman Begins/The Dark Knight
      The Usual Suspects
      The Shining
      A Beautiful Mind (watched this in a movie theater in Greece, Rhodes. Memorable.)
      Se7en
      Million Dollar Baby
      One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
      Mystic River
      American History X
      The Departed
      Shawshank Redemption
      WALL-E
      Amélie
      Rear Window (1954, I thought it would suck, but was a really intense and great film)
      Godfather I & II
      No Country For Old Men

And lots more, but all these come to mind as being 5-star movies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Gunnery Sgt. Hartman: "If god wanted you up there I am sure he would have miracled your ass up there by now, private Pyle."

25. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @Markku,

Except from Rear Window (gotta see that) I've got all the flicks on your list. My favorite is probably American Beauty, movies like that don't come along very often. Would like to add At Close Range (1986) with Sean Penn and Christopher Walken, two of my favorite actors. Also check out After Hours (1985) directed by the great Martin Scorsese. I guess I'm a sucker for 80's films, they have a certain aesthetic.

26. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I saw “La vie d'Adèle” aka “Blue Is the Warmest Colour” 3 hours, french, romatic drama. The director wanted them to read the script once, and then improvise. He made up to 100 takes on some scenes, I guess the actresses ended up really living the moment, their acting is powerful, and the camera stays put on their emotions *boring alert, boring alert* not for everyone.

Blue Is The Warmest Color UK Trailer - Drama HD

Another one where the camera stays on the main actress is Gravity. It's space, and Sandra Bullock on the brink of death most of the movie. You get attached to these characters.

27. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I can't remember the last movie I watched because I watch so many but I think the last one I fully watched was Home Alone 1. I have seen it before but not for a few years, I think it is a really good family movie especially around Christmas!

28. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I watched Riddick (the new one). It was mostly good but the soundtrack had too much tinnitus.

• Funny Funny x 2
    29. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @LeQuack What do you mean it had to much tinnitus? Like high pitched sounds?

• Like Like x 1
    30. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      No like my tinnitus in the background, a little tinnitus humor for you.