Where to Get Started? Tinnitus Since Summer, Not Sure About the Cause

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Wyatt55, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Wyatt55

Wyatt55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello. I have been experiencing tinnitus since this past summer. It is a loud high pitched ringing noise in both ears. It did not come about following any loud noise exposure. I went to an ENT and got a hearing test, and I had no recorded hearing loss.

I have looked into potential TMJ problems. When I open my mouth, it does make a squeaking noise. On occasion, I do experience loud popping out of nowhere in my jaw but nothing extremely painful.

This is all new to me so I would appreciate any guidance on what I need to do.

Thank you so much for your time. :)

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Wyatt55

Your tinnitus may not be noise induced but something usually causes it. The most common cause is exposure to loud noise, even though you have said this isn't the case. Are you are regular user of headphones, headset or frequently go to clubs or concerts? If you have been a regular user of headphones and there is no underlying medical problem including TMJ and stress, causing your tinnitus, then it's likely to be headphone use. As I said, tinnitus doesn't usually appear without a reason.

Please click on the link below and read my posts that you might find helpful. If headphones are the cause of your tinnitus, then I advise that you don't use them even at low volume.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wyatt55

Wyatt55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the link. Yes, I have used headphones in the past but never at a loud volume. I have attended several concerts but at most 1 every 2 years or so.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Wyatt55

Headphones are the most common cause of tinnitus. Even though you think you were not listening at too high a volume you probably were and for too long a duration without giving your ears sufficient rest. Now, you may not want to agree with me and that's perfectly fine. However, I have had tinnitus for many years and corresponded with many people just like you and the symptoms they describe are very similar to your own.

If you want to help yourself I strongly advise that you do not use headphones even at low volume. Even if your doctor or Audiologist tell you, using headphones is fine as long as the volume is kept low. Please trust me on this, they are wrong. They are medical professionals but most of them know very little about tinnitus. It is true some people with noise induced tinnitus, use headphones without any problems but it is a risk. You have to decide whether it's worth taking that risk. Many people with noise induced tinnitus carry on listening to music through headphones, and most regret doing so, as the tinnitus usually increases to a higher and permanent level.

Please click on the links below and read my post for more information on tinnitus.

All the best.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wyatt55

Wyatt55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you again. I agree completely. I have not used any headphones or earbuds since my tinnitus started besides a couple of times it was required in the classroom. Since it has been several months, is there any chance my tinnitus could subside or is this something I am going to likely have forever?

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Noise induced tinnitus which is what I believe you have, will usually improve with time. It can take up to 2 years for a person to fully habituate to their tinnitus and it can happen sooner. What is of vital importance is that you try not to do anything that will cause it to increase. The danger is, your tinnitus will most probably improve in the weeks and months ahead. After a while you will get so used to it you may not even hear it. Then, you might make the mistake that so many people have done with this type of tinnitus which is noise induced. They return to using headphones or go to places where loud music is playing, then they find the tinnitus returns with a vengeance and is a lot louder than before.

If you listen to my advice and follow it the chances are you will make a full recovery and your tinnitus will reduce to very low levels or in some cases completely go. Now, the advice: Please do not use headphones or a headset even at low volume. If you have to use them in class, keep the volume as low as possible and if you can don't use earbuds.

A member of this forum had completely habituated to her tinnitus for 6 years. Her tinnitus was originally caused by headphones. She was able to go to work and was enjoying life to the full. Last year just before Christmas as it is now, she contacted me, saying she returned to using headphones after 6 years. She kept the volume low, and within one week, the tinnitus returned and was much louder. The last I heard she is unable to work because of the distress of the tinnitus.

Be careful that is all I'm saying to you. If you go out to clubs or concerts then use Noise reducing earplugs. Keep in mind, even wearing earplugs you are not completely safe. If the sound is too loud it will pass through your head and be transferred to your inner ear by bone conduction and spike the tinnitus. This can make it increase to a louder and permanent level. I am not saying you must stay in and not go out and enjoy yourself, but you need to be careful of loud sounds and headphones. If you follow my advice I don't think you will have any problems and you will get better and be able to do everything that you want to within reason.

Best of luck, please read my posts in the links that I have sent you.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wyatt55

Wyatt55 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so so much for taking the time to help!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are welcome @Wyatt55 and I wish you all the best for the future.

Take care
      Michael