Which Custom Earplugs Offer the Best Protection?

Discussion in 'Support' started by orbiter12, Aug 15, 2017.

1. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      I went to get custom earplugs but can't find ones with high enough protection.

Do any of the custom plugs compare to foam protection?

I want customs because they're more comfortable, less occlusion and quicker and less hassle to put in. But do any offer 28 dB or more protection or even 32 dB?

I've looked at ACS but the highest is 26 dB PRO filter. The solid blank filter I can't find attenuation values for.

2. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I asked a hearing care professional (is that what these people are called in English?) about "custom made earplugs like the foam ones" and he suggested getting the earplugs for swimmers instead of the musician ones. These have no filters and should block all sound as much as possible, although I don't think this has been actually tested. I can imagine thin plastic earplugs which would stop water, but not dampen sound all that much.
      These being plugs for swimming, these don't come with an attenuation chart, but another musician told me that these do dampen more than the heaviest filters. They should be a little cheaper too (about €100 instead of €180 around here).

Not all foam earplugs are created equally either. Some are less comfortable, protect less, harder to put in, etc., than others.

By the way, how do you know that custom earplugs are impacted less by the occlusion effect?

3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I wear no ear plugs.

4. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      ACS full block is more than the black ones. Actually ACS full block plus a Bose QC35 together do magic ...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      What dB reduction do the ACS full block give?

6. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      You can't get more then 30-32 dB reduction with blocking the ears, you have to block more ... so I think together with the Bose you get 35-38 dB, apart from that everything feels super quiet. You won't hear clapping or talking next to you.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Fabo

Fabo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trauma
    8. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      I understand tinnitus causes us a great deal of stess. But can I ask why you require more than 27db protection from custom plugs?

The acs is a very good set of plugs, but if you need more than protection that that I would remove myself from the situation or wear ear muffs as well. Eg. Shooting.