Which Vasodilators Can Help Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Baker, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown for 10 years, but later bad from loud fireworks.
      I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a vasodilator brand or list of vasodilator brands that seem to help with tinnitus more than other types? A long while back, I asked my doctor for a vasodilator as I had read that it can help. I searched around the web and got a generic brand I saw mentioned a few times, but apparently I guess he couldn't find it in his computer. He prescribed "Amlodipine Besylate". Yes, I do have high blood pressure. My tinnitus is different types of noise, but a big one is hearing my heart beat.

I have gone to a few different walk-in clinics the past couple of years who do the regular looking in your ear thing and they have seen fluid on the back of my eardrum.

Anyways, at the time I seemed to had noticed some improvement after I started taking it. However, a couple of weeks later, I was taking apart a hard drive. I was trying to separate some powerful magnets inside, and they clanged together sending out a loud ping sound. One of my ears erupted. And that made the tinnitus get worse to where it would get louder if say I bent over or turned my head.

And then a long while later, I had a cold for a week. That made my tinnitus get a lot louder and more shrill. And then a couple of months ago I got COVID-19 which made it get even louder.

I'm going to be going in to get refills of meds. So I thought of asking for a different vasodilator to see if a different one helps more, because with Amlodipine Besylate I did initially notice some improvement. But after my tinnitus getting a lot worse, I don't really notice an improvement anymore.

I'm going to have to also see if he can finally get my high blood pressure down. I've had high blood pressure for at least 5+ years, and it's usually high whenever I test it. My doctor knows about this. But it's still high, and I keep mentioning about it at every appointment I have as I just go in every so often to get refills.

2. Jan64

Jan64 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Dear Baker,

From my German ENT doctor I got a prescription for Pentoxifylline. 600 milligrams twice a day. Morning and evening.

It helps with acute tinnitus and is prescribed together with Prednisolone (3 days of 60 mg, then taper 50 mg, 40 mg, 30 mg til 10 mg).

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
      Jan