White Noise Vs Pink Noise

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rudy, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      for sounds sensitivity/tinnitus from loud music/acoustic trauma...any thought?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Pink noise is softer and is used for people with hyperacusis; it is preferred to white noise, which is harsher. In addition, I find water sounds--especially waterfalls or light rain--provides gentle masking for my tinnitus. So you might consider these or other nature sounds. :)

A good app for white/pink/brown noise is this one:

They also have another app that looks interesting:

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      thanks!

So how high should I put the volume on this pink noise app. (very convenient site btw :D)

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Obviously, you don't want to play it loud. You don't want to do further auditory damage. And I don't know the volume of your tinnitus. It could be very loud or moderate or even soft.

That said, if you want to mask your tinnitus you play the sound until it just covers it. No more. Masking works for many people in keeping their attention away from their noise.

But some people--especially advocates of TRT and other sound therapies--prefer that the sound is played just below your tinnitus. That way you can hear the noise and your tinnitus. They blend together. This is called the "mixing point." The theory behind therapies such as TRT is that the "mixing point" allows your brain to get used to your tinnitus while you are still given enough sound to draw your attention away from your noise.

Either method will give your relief! :)

5. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @jazz

Is there a free sample of this noise?

6. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm sure there are many free examples. I just know the SimplyNoise app the best.

Please know too that TT has its own series of free sounds on the home page! They include colored noises and some water sounds. :)

Here is an example of sweeping pink noise--10 hours worth!--on YouTube. The link also includes other types of pink noise as well as brown noise, fan noises, etc. You can experiment and see what you like best.

Sweeping Pink Noise - Ten Hours - Ambient Sound

If you want water sounds, just type in "water sounds" or "rain sounds" for sleeping at YouTube.

Here are two apps--one for Apple and one for Android--that appear to be free, but may require an in-app purchase. Not sure what the in-app purchase does, but you can download the app and see for yourself!

Hope that helps! :) :)

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Philemon

Philemon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild NIHL
      Here you'll find 10 hours of gentle rain sound mixed with wind sound and very smooth thunder sound in the background :

Gentle Rain 10 Hours High Quality

hope this helps ! ;-)

8. ezzy

ezzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      nov 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paxil?
      So what is brown noise? I would like to try some sort of masking. I got a free month's use of Starkey but it is way too expensive to purchase. I also dont have a smart phone so am not able to download the apps recommended above. Can you get any of the on the computer?