Who Else Has Sleep Apnea and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mario martz, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I hear there is a huge relation between sleep apnea and tinnitus/Meniere's disease.

Who else has these two?

• Like Like x 1
    2. fedup

fedup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection and earphone use
      Hi there, I have tinnitus and sleep apnea.

My wife tells me I stop breathing many times a night. I lost two and a half stone which helped the apnea a bit but I still do it.

I have asked my Dr about a link but he just shrugs his shoulders!

I also have a lot of reflux which I feel seems to annoy my tinnitus.

Keep fighting. Best wishes

3. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      @Mario martz I have apnea but I've never heard of any link between that and tinnitus. Can you elaborate?

4. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
    5. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I do. And that's all I can say about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @TuneOut
      Since the both of us Californians and are still up, then that is all we can say about that. The traffic is getting bad in El Dorado Hills.

7. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I'm going to get some Ambien from my shrink, for occasional use. Then I can fall asleep and stop breathing a thousand times a night from my sleep apnea.

8. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yup, I have sleep apnea too! Anyone else?

9. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I have sleep apnea too for many years (long before my tinnitus onset).

10. Ajay Rawtani

Ajay Rawtani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      CPAP
      I have been using a CPAP machine since 2015 when I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. CPAP has def helped with my sleep and energy level though out the day and I am no longer gasping for air when i am sleeping at night. The side effect is the tinnitus and it seems to be getting worse. I am also having hearing loss. My Apnea indexes are bad enough that i def need the machine but need to do something about my ears. Going to get some tests done on my ears soon.

Below is a case study that basically links ear issues and tinnitus to CPAP machine use and the pressure cased by it.

If anyone has found ways to relieve or reduce the tinnitus please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4896658/

11. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Sorry, I forgot to publish this link :
      Source: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/lary.26323/full

Risk of tinnitus in patients with sleep apnea: A nationwide, population-based, case-control study

Abstract

Objective
      To investigate the risk of tinnitus in patients with sleep disturbance or sleep apnea.

Study Design
      Case control study.

Methods
      We identified 21,798 middle-aged and elderly patients with otolaryngologist-diagnosed tinnitus between January 1, 2000, and December 31, 2012, from the Longitudinal Health Insurance Database 2000 of the Taiwan National Health Insurance Research Database. A total of 108,990 controls were also identified from the same database based on frequency-matching on 10-year age interval, sex, and year of index date of the cases. Diagnoses of sleep disturbance (International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision, Clinical Modification [ICD-9-CM] codes 780.50, 780.52, 307.4) and sleep apnea (ICD-9-CM codes 780.51, 780.53, 780.57) in the cases and controls prior to the index date were assessed. The risks of tinnitus in patients with sleep disturbance and sleep apnea were separately evaluated with multivariate logistic regression analyses.

Results
      The mean age of the total 130,788 patients was 59.8 years, and 47% of them were males. The risk of tinnitus was higher in patients with sleep disturbance compared to those without the condition (adjusted odds ratio [OR] = 1.13, 95% confidence interval [CI] [95% CI] = 1.11–1.17), and the risk of tinnitus was higher in patients with sleep apnea compared to those without the condition (adjusted OR = 1.36, 95% CI = 1.16–1.60).

Conclusion
      In this population-based, case-control study, the risk of tinnitus was found to be significantly higher among middle-aged and elderly Taiwanese patients with sleep disturbances, especially with sleep apnea.

• Like Like x 1
    12. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?

I also have sleep apnea, and I guess that actually many people have some form of sleep apnea, but they don't actually know it, in the past people would have a heart attack and didn't knew it could come from this, sleep apnea is serious.

I can say for sure that sometimes during heavy sleep apneas that I have new T's that come and go, or get louder, so there must be some kind of relation. I read that the lack of oxygen can cause hearing issues as the cochlea is a very fragile organ, but sleep apnea also affects many other organs like brain damage. I'm otherwise in very good physical condition, can run a 2 hour jogging without issues, never smoked, weight is perfect, besides hearing issues and food allergies ... I have however tons of stress and anxiety which seems also to worsen when I have bad nights. So I dont have the profile for sleep apnea, but recently during an examen with a camera, the doctor found that mine is related to a few issues inside the mouth (soft palate placed too low) and too large tongue, tomorrow I'll have a 2nd surgery to improve this and probably a 3rd one later on. My doctor said that probably after the surgery my T will maybe also improve as I'll finally have a real sleep, something I never had since more then 16 years.

• Like Like x 2
    13. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Mine was definitely worse when I used the CPAP machine for 6 months, I now use a mouth guard which isn't perfect but a little better, just hope surgery will make things more confortable for me.

Now I wonder if maybe the way I put pressure in my nose during 40+ years due to sinusitis, may also be the cause of my T ? Mine is really very loud, and covers most sound most of the time.

14. KerryCinTexas

KerryCinTexas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      perforated eardrum
      I do and I use a CPAP. I had never thought about a connection.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      I hope the surgery improves your health!!!
      keep us updated,
      yes sleep apnea is more serious, than people think.
      for me... i think its the root of all my problems, im starting this month my therapy with cpap lets hope it works!! :D

• Like Like x 1
    16. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Same here Mario martz, surgery went ok, but I just feel very bad right now, can hardly eat or drink, my mouth is just a disaster. I should breath better, but for some reason it's the opposite right now, doctor can't seem to find what's happening, but I have a hard time to expire when I sleep. If I knew how painful it was I wouldn't have done it, it's just a terrible experience, hopefully it will help me afterwards, will need to wait at least two more weeks to let everything heal.

I know however from my own experience that teeth clenching makes sleep apneas worse, as well as my T's, for some reason when you clench your teeth you aren't able to breath correctly as you compress your throat, at least that's what happens here.

Hope your experience with CPAP machine will be good, most people do, but I had too many side effects.