Why Advise Against Headphones?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ento, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I agree. Let's put it to rest. I have explained what I wanted to explain.

In your answer you're embedding the headphone topic in a more general statement about TRT and the likes and why you're here to help out people. So let me be clear on this: I absolutely appreciate what you do and I don't think our different views on the issue of headphone use needs to a problem.
      It is only one aspect.

I reacted on this thread because it's specifically about headphone use.

It's only when you pass off your views as facts or regard yourself as superior or better that I take offense.

All the best

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Bartoli

How you interpret the way I express myself when writing about tinnitus is something that I have no control over. It is impossible to please everyone. Therefore, I will continue to write about tinnitus and anything associated with it in the way that I feel it, and that is straight from the heart.

Thank you for your comments and I wish you well.

Michael

3. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I would like to make a suggestion and I assure you that I won't take offence. You have the option of placing me on ignore. Please do this, then I will never cause you offence or make you cringe.

Michael

4. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      That won't be necessary. I'm not for censorship. On a tinnitus forum we're all sufferers and equals. For me, no one holds exclusive rights to the truth. Freedom of speech within the boundaries of mutual respect is key.
      Hoping we can have constructive conversations in the future and the OP can make an informed decision with what has been written so far.

All the best.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Here's the thing - everything you're saying about speakers could equally apply to headphones.

For example. you say - "I know what my ears can tolerate and do not listen at sound levels which I know are going to cause me harm" - that could be true of headphones as well.

You say - "A good Audio system creates music which doesn't have to be played at loud listening levels to be enjoyed, especially classical and opera. I also listen to American Jazz fusion: Lee Ritenour, Michael Franks, Fourplay, Diane Schuur and many others that are regularly played at 60 to 70 decibels without causing me any problems." - that could be true of headphones as well (genres and quality aren't exclusive to speakers).

Please understand, I'm not arguing with you, I'm trying to make sense of the information I'm receiving from multiple sources, from you, from my audiologist, from others.

If there is a piece of evidence that shows that headphones are worse for ears than speakers, at the same decibel level, I haven't seen it.

I also read in another thread that you yourself experienced audio trauma from headphones, so perhaps you might understandably have a bias against them. Who wouldn't?

However, I respect your experience, and for all we know, it could very well be that headphones ARE more dangerous than speakers, even though we don't know exactly why.

Perhaps people have less perspective about volume through headphones than speakers. This could be compounded by a need to overcome ambient sounds, since people typically wear headphones when they're out and about (or out and about if they happen to be from Canada). By comparison, speakers are typically used in a more controlled environment with less competition from ambient sounds.

So it may be that even though there's nothing inherently more dangerous about headphones than speakers, it's simply easier to get sucked into volume creep with headphones, and subsequent trauma.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Jack V

I know you are concerned about this issue but my opinion remains the same and what I advised you in a previous post. You will have to make the decision whether to use headphones or not. I strongly advise not to use them even at low volume, as I don't think the risk is worth it. It is good to acquire information from various sources but remember: All those people that tell you there's nothing wrong with using headphones at low volume, will not be able to help you if your tinnitus increases to a new permanent level, and it's possible. Not for everyone that has Noise induced tinnitus, but quite a lot of them that now regret using headphones.

Take care and I wish you well.
      Michael

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Using headphones is ok if you limit volume (low) and time of exposure.

8. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      @Jack V I see that you have started tinnitus very recently as a result of an acoustic trauma. I'd like to briefly offer some advice as someone who has been able to habituate to tinnitus for several years now. Be extremely careful about any noise exposure levels while your ears are very sensitive to sound and repeated loud noise exposure will only make your tinnitus worse and delay habituation.

I would avoid using headphones at all, you might think you can get away with a low volume but even the smallest mistake in volume control could lead to another AT. I'd also avoid public events where you know noise levels are likely to be very high. Having a pair of earplugs always to hand is also a sensible precaution.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. ManyLeavesLeft

ManyLeavesLeft Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute Acoustic Trauma
      I have tinnitus because I was using extremely sensitive, extremely high performance, extremely expensive earphones and was blasted by them at roughly 140 dB. I am probably one of the only people in history to have tinnitus due a true impulse trauma from headphones. This is many times louder than consumer headphones can get. It is as loud as a pistol shot but the peak SPL can last for thousands of times longer even within the first second of exposure.

That said, I think headphones have been important to my getting used to tinnitus and getting on with my life. I can still hear the wonderful nuanced sounds of music, more and more, despite the moderate to severe tinnitus. I think I am getting better at filtering the tinnitus out due to moderate volume music listening. If you are always feeling like your tinnitus is this bad thing that you have to ignore but cannot ignore it, that probably doesn’t help the brain learn that it is a useless signal and repair itself. I believe my audiophile headphones help my brain get used to enjoying sounds and filtering out tinnitus. I tend to listen at about 70 dB (with transient peaks up to perhaps 90 dB) and it has only been helpful. And this level of sound exposure is unavoidable in normal daily life unless you are using earplugs all the time, when you are watching tv, or doing the dishes.

If people are worried about a sudden blast of sound due to a volume control error, there are ways around this. For one thing, you can get a moderately powered headphone amplifier and dac which uses a analog volume pot and mechanical resistor, and which has a maximum output which is relatively low. The analog volume pot means that you would have to turn the volume pot up by accident in order for their to be a sudden blast. It is more or less physically impossible for there to be higher power coming from the amp while the volume pot is in a lower volume position. If I had been using one of these when my acoustic trauma occurred, instead of the digital volume control on my macbook, I would not have tinnitus today.

Using an online headphone power calculator you can estimate the maximum volume the amp could get to if somehow you did accidentally turn a knob all the way up while listening to a very loud 0dB signal (0db is the loudest possible signal in a digital audio system). For example, the hifiman HE-6 headphone cannot physically make higher than 105 dB with most amplifiers, and this is at max volume, listening to signal a 0 dB signal.

Personally I trust the volume pot of my amplifier enough such that right now the amp I use could conceivably pump 122 dB into my head if both the volume pot, the gain switch, and the signal all somehow got to max at the same moment. I am looking into other possibilities to add additional layers of security, because the amp I am using now is much more powerful than most consumer headphone amps and more than I need.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. kamil1364

kamil1364 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise-induced
      Just wanted to write that I have noise induced tinnitus and I use Beyerdynamic DT 770 32 Ohm at 50% of Android volume, and so far my tinnitus hasn't got worse because of it and my dysacusis continues to improve.

Wish every one of you all the best. Remember that each one case of tinnitus is different and I advise caution.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1