Why Are So Many Places So Loud?!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zigs, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Zigs

Zigs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Something I have only noticed since my tinnitus got worse two months ago and I have started protesting my hearing, is how unnecessarily loud places are! I’m only 32 but realise this makes me sound a lot older! Tonight I went to my old spin class for the first time since tinnitus got worse and wore ear plugs - I took them out as I was leaving and couldn’t believe the volume. No wonder there are so many more people experiencing hearing issues.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      I strongly agree! It is something I have started to notice after having problem with tinnitus and its just super annoying. Now all my friends have also gotten very aware of sounds because of what has happened to me and all of them agree that it is often unnecessarily loud at many places. Yesterday me and a friend took a walk and passed a place where all youths are partying, it was sooo loud we could feel the vibrations from inside the house even though we were outside and far away. Can't believe people expose themselves to that, but its really a lack of awareness. People don't understand what can happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. JacquelineG
      Thinking

JacquelineG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      So true... you only realize how loud our world is when you get tinnitus or hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 8
    4. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I never noticed how loud these places are either. I see commercial truck drivers with their windows down driving around and wonder how they are not all deaf.

• Agree Agree x 4
    5. Yoshi
      Wishful

Yoshi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphones, Bus Braking, Burping (air enters ear canal)
      Noise-induced hearing loss is definitely where smoking was in the early 20th century. I remember a lot of gatherings at school in the auditorium to raise awareness about issues like bullying, internet safety, the environment, and so on, but never any awareness raised about hearing loss. Might be because people still think it's an "old people's condition".

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Pawel1
      No Mood

Pawel1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang
      I believe that I have gotten Tinnitus, by listening to loud music at headphones. I enjoyed the high sound levels, because it made me feel alert, young and distracted in a positive way. I continued listening to music like that, because I thought that the worst thing that could happen, was that I would slowly start losing my hearing ability. But, instead of noticeably losing my hearing, I got my Tinnitus. Now, my hearing and my Tinnitus are worsening, even if I am careful about my hearing.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      For real... some people talk so damn loudly too! Like my mom and boyfriend both get louder the more animated they are, ill open my decibel app while they’re shrieking & see it get up in the 90s! Neither of them can seem to remember I need them to talk more softly now either. Super annoying.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    8. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Once again... has anyone EVER seen a PSA commercial about loud noise? ATA or anyone? BS

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      healthy hearing people don't know how loud it is. now that my hyperacusis is diminished I am astonished how much your ear compresses the volume when it is functioning more normally.

• Agree Agree x 4
    10. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I left a restaurant, just this afternoon, it was insanely loud. Walked in, walked out....it was that bad.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      According to @Michael Leigh , when hyperacusis diminishes your tinnitus is also less likely to react to noise, as your ear begins to perceive it as normal again.

I believe this is true, as with my first bout of tinnitus I experienced zero noise sensitivity and I was able to go to restaurants and other places without earplugs and not spike.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      That doesn't make any sense.

13. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      I think it makes a fair amount of sense. I can only speak from my own experience, but for a period of time I was overprotecting my ears and EVERYTHING seemed loud--I was extremely sensitive to noise . In turn, my ears would react to almost everything--even a fan. I have also spoken to several audiologists who have urged me that it is extremely important to avoid overprotection from everyday noises, since the ears will never get accustomed to normal sounds. Im gradually weaning off overprotection, and my hyperacusis has been improving slowly(I've had several setbacks from loud, unexpected noises--these occurred indoors where I would not have been wearing protection in the first place). I am also no longer reacting to things like fans.

Everyone is different of course. But I've also read over success stories such as @Jason C and a member by the name of conductor(for some reason I can't tag them) who recovered by slowly exposing themselves to normal noises.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I read something a while ago about restaurants purposely using loud music in their establishments. I think the theory was that it was good for business but I think if people realized how bad it could be for your hearing, they would start to lose business.

15. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      It's a secret plot to deafen the world.