Why Are We Letting Kids Suffer with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Candy, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Very saddened to hear that kids, teens and students are suffering with this. Find it hard that the scientific community isn't doing more. Is there anything we can do - all of us on TT to to make a difference??

Some of the stories on here should really be heard by the general public.

We need an effective treatment and soon!

• Agree Agree x 4
    2. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I don't know about Europe, but in the US the companies that produce smartphones and other audio equipment should at the very least include very clear warnings about the damage headphone use can cause. I heard in Europe they actually limit the volume on devices. I do it on my iPhone, but I had to set that up manually. I think also earplugs should be handed out at concerts and clubs more often with warnings about the dangers of loud noise exposure.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      All of that plus ear protection given out at concerts.
      For those already suffering some acknowledgment and actual practical help.

4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      The more kids getting tinnitus, they will have more severe tinnitus as adults and then maybe the medical community will start pushing for real treatments. I hope more people get tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Copy this and use it in your browser search bar. http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

The world population is always climbing at over twice the rate of those dying. Tinnitus and hearing loss will be rampant in the years to come if we don't educate EVERYONE on ways to avoid it. Needs to begin in early education for children and reinforced over many years. Pretty much they way kids learn to brush their teeth to prevent cavities! I believe this is the only way to begin to see a decrease in sufferers. Trying to find a cure is going to be so difficult with the complex nature of the inner ear and nerve cells. It may very well need to become an epidemic before enough money and research goes into this.

@Candy says, all of us at TT can make a difference. Well we most certainly can but educating others and pushing for better education in our countries and beyond. We have to get this implemented in Physical Education programs in elementary schools where kids are beginning to learn and understand better at a young age.

6. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      What a daunting clock this worldometer.
      When you are young you are invisible. You are convinced it won't happen to you.
      There is already plenty of warnings regarding hearing loss that get ignored.

7. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe hearing loss and tinnitus already qualify to be an epidemic. I remember reading this.

8. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      @Reinier

Quite possible some articles have been published naming it an epidemic however it needs to be accepted by the WHO, World Health Organization, as an epidemic before the purse strings get loosened.

9. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Really? Didn't see any at concerts i've been to.

10. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It has been a long time ago since I have been to a concert, so I wouldn't know about that.
      But already then people knew about NIHL.

I remember a long time ago when the first Walkman cassette players were sold there where limiters an warnings about NIHL.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      If people really knew about hearing loss and tinnitus surely they would protect there ears. If anything hearing loss is more of an old wives tale to most people thst go to concerts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      The more kids getting tinnitus, they will have more severe tinnitus as adults and then maybe the medical community will start pushing for real treatments. I hope more people get tinnitus.

Sorry, have to say: It seems just plain silly and cruel to wish this misery on more people. It also won't make any difference. Tinnitus is the number one disability claim for the US Department of Veterans Affairs right now.

Anyway: I agree that hearing loss and tinnitus prevention needs to become a part of the regular health education and prevention messages targeting young people, the same as with alcohol and tobacco use, STD protection, etc. Yes, ear plugs should be handed out at concerts -- although it probably would need to be legally mandated, because concert promoters won't want to do it. Noise warnings should be posted outside of movie theaters. But who here has worked with or lobbied their local school boards, legislators, health departments, ect, to make such changes? Not me, sadly, although I would like to.

This retired teacher is trying to make a difference: one person CAN do something!
      http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/fl-ear-peace-foundation-hearing-20160211-story.html

13. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Kids and teenagers don't pay attention to any health warnings. Especially something like tinnitus warnings.
      Perhaps if a few celebrities gave the warnings then maybe they would listen. But most celebrities are self obsessed or only want to raise awareness to things that are fashionable or self helping.

14. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I agree with you LadyDi that steps should be taken to make the public more aware of the dangers of exposure to loud noise. Typically, loud music played through headphones and at nightclubs. Most of us at TT know the risks but I doubt the majority of the public would listen or even care.

A short while ago I watched a TV programme about tinnitus and the dangers of loud noise. People were interviewed coming out of a nightclub where the music was being played loud. One person said: “ Louder the music the better”. Another said: “When I’ve left the club and my ears are ringing it’s a sign I’ve had a good night!” I suspect that’s the attitude of many people out there; that is until one day the ringing doesn’t stop. Then they will arrive here stressed, in a panic and asking for help.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 3
    15. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @Michael Leigh I don't necessarily blame them for wanting it loud or thinking the ringing is a good thing, that just shows the lack of education regarding loud music, it is an absolute joke.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Sam Bridge Indeed, I agree with you . When the presenter told them about the risk of hearing damage and tinnitus and they should wear noise reducing earplugs, they laughed!

17. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Ah well yes they may well end up here at some point then if they laughed it off. Sounds like an interesting programme, is it online any where?

18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I will look for you but it was shown here in the UK on BBC1 about six weeks ago and I don't think they keep programmes that long online.

19. Reinier
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most efficient is convincing parents it is serious.
      I have seen, on several occasions very young children in motorcycle side-cars. Yes, wearing a helmet is accepted. But earplugs (perhaps not practical. How can you tell they work well enough?) was apparently not necessary. A helmet will not protect your ears well enough when you are sitting 50 cm from an engine.
      Also plenty people with very young children at loud concerts. Children on their shoulder. So not low down where there is some protection of high sound levels. And no hearing protection for the children. Even baby's in prams.
      Sure I have also seen plenty people that give there children earmuffs.
      So in short I agree, apparently we still need more awareness. But start with parents.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      My kids will only dream of concerts!
      BTW have you all shared the new video posted in Research, the first item? $54 on donkeys?
      Please share...like etc.