Why Do I Get a Strong Sound When Putting a Finger Inside My Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tintintin, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Tintintin

Tintintin Member

hey,
      19 yrs.
      Have hade tinnitus for 7 months. Only hear it when its completely silent. Have it some degree in both ears. Sometimes vibrations in the right ear.

The thing that scares my a little is that, when i put my finger inside my left ear, to block all other sounds out from that ear, i hear a even stronger helicopter-like sound. Regularly i have this very mild humming sound.

What does this mean?

2. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Most people have multiple tones in their ears man.

3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Ignore it. Stop focusing on it. Putting your finger in your ear will reduce external sound to your brain...so of course your t will be more noticeable. Nothing to worry about. My t seems louder too if i were to do this too..

4. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      I have 4 or 5 different tones - chill out, its entirely normal.
      Enjoy mild tinnitus (it could be much, much, much worse) and take care to not make it worse.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tintintin

Tintintin Member

IT scares my a litte That if i get this helicopter-like sound on regular basis, IT would be difficult living with it. like what if this is only the first stage Of tinnitus? And in the later stages i Will be likely to get That heli sound. To be honest, i cant live without music. That is what is driving my life.

Im not diagnosed tinnitus, never been to the doctor. So the reason for having T is unknown.

Im Just so scared That my T will evolve to something worse. Whats the chance?

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't let fear run your life! Maybe your tinnitus will get worse. Maybe you'll get pancreatic cancer. Maybe someone will blow up a nuke tomorrow and plunge us into WWIII.

You can't control any of these things, so, just try to live as well as you can under the current circumstances of the day, do everything that you reasonably can to protect your ears, and try to relax a bit... at some point, your body is going to fail you in some horrible way, and that's just what life is so there's no point in getting stressed about it.

• Like Like x 1
    7. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      relax, everyone is able to hear strange sounds when putting finger inside their ears. Apparently, even people without tinnitus can hear ringing if they are put into a completely empty and quite room. i have adressed this before, but I think knowing this may help you:

"An experiment carried out in 1953 by researchers Heller and Bergman showed that tinnitus is an almost universal experience in a very quiet environment. When a number of young, healthy medical students were put in a sound proofed room, 98% reported hearing tinnitus sounds."

so my point is, there is nothing to fear, just ignore it and you will be ok.

take care.

8. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      That's true, but its a useless observation for our purposes as there is a solar system of difference between physiological tinnitus and pathological tinnitus. If you squeeze your Willy hard enough (in the name of science, of course) it will obviously hurt, as can be predicted and you can let go, but getting it caught in your zipper is quite a different thing.