Why Do People Always Say "the Noise Is Harmless"?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jp1995, Feb 15, 2018.

1. jp1995
      No Mood

jp1995 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Apologize for this post. Having a bad day.

I just don't get understand how tinnitus noise is "harmless" what is harmless about stress and anxiety and difficulty sleeping? I would consider all of that harmful. I'm almost 3 months into this and I still think about it almost all day and certainly everyday. I just want it to go away or be habituated.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Talk is cheap! Have them walk in your shoes and then see what they say :)

Also I'd ignore people like that. They bring no value to your life, if they are so shallow and ignorant... Negative people, places are avoided. Supportive people and calm/tranquil/loving places are welcomed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Tempest
      Tired

Tempest Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I think it has to do with many factors, but the biggest one probably is the fact that I kinda mentioned in an earlier thread: The medical world and doctors basically still live in the early 90s when it comes to tinnitus. Hell, I recently went to a doctor which gave me some printed info on tinnitus, the latest book source was over 20 years old. I know I'm really generalizing now, but it's easy for that 90s tinnitus info to tell me that keep doing your everyday stuff. when it's from a time when computers, smart phones, social media and internet didn't exist. Of course it was much easier to forget about tinnitus if pass times were outside the house and actually meeting with people. The world has changed so much in these past 20 years and especially young people have so much more stress, lack of sleep doesn't do any favors.

And the second factor is that people are just different, so are their life situations, goals and what they appreciate in life. Generally people who you've heard get tinnitus are those with typical American dream. "X has tinnitus, but it doesn't bother him". Yeah, but he's also 50 and has a wife, kids, a dog and a house, younger years behind him. Those are the things that keep him occupied from tinnitus and reasons to keep him going. But don't tell me that those are my dreams, my life goals and reasons as well, you are not me. You are comparing two entirely different lives and situations.

In a twisted way I do appreciate what T has taught me since it has really opened my eyes and let me see how people and world really is and works. Let's just say that "Ignorance is bliss".

• Like Like x 1
    4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      The stress alone can lead to other problems if unchecked.

5. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      The thing is we really have no other choice but to deem this noise harmless. This is the only way you will ever learn to co-exist with this. The negative people ate those who feed the misery machine by reinforcing how awful it is and how life sucks and will never be the same.

• Helpful Helpful x 1