Why Does a Nasal Sound in One's Voice Go with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by yellowboy, Nov 25, 2018.

1. yellowboy
      Alienated

yellowboy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      People I speak with often tell me I sound like a have a cold or nasal sound since I got tinnitus. If this is only a "false" noise coming from my brain what would cause my voice to change or sound different?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Correlation doesn't mean causation: you could simply have some congestion/blockage in your "face cavities/tunnels" (sinuses, eustachian tubes, etc...) that causes both nasal sounding voice and tinnitus. It's not one causing the other, but another root cause causing both issues. This is only a hypothesis of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      yellowboy
      Alienated

yellowboy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for your response that it makes no sense to me. Either I have straight up tinnitus or its being caused by something else - right ? Maybe I am looking for an answer that does not exist, but I have no cold, congestion or other issue that caused the voice change so it it just tinnitus or something else going on ?

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You don't just have Tinnitus: there's a reason for having Tinnitus. Hearing loss is the most common reason.

You can use this flowchart with your doctor to help you root cause your T: https://www.tinnitusresearch.net/index.php/for-clinicians/diagnostic-flowchart