Why Does My Tinnitus Go Away for Days, Only to Return?

Discussion in 'Support' started by HeavyMantra, Jan 24, 2019.

1. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,

I've been reading this forum a lot since my tinnitus got worse a few months ago. There's still some things about my tinnitus that I don't really see people writing about.

I've seen some improvement. It started with the tinnitus being "gone" (so low that I can barely hear it when plugging my ears) one or two days a week. This past week, it was gone 5/7 days. I thought this nightmare was over, only to have it return with a vengeance today.

Does anybody with noise induced tinnitus recognize this? I've felt hopeful because from what I hear tinnitus that is permanent seems to be more of a constant thing? Or is this normal for people with noise induced tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Fluctuation (often random fluctuation) is normal. Ignore those spikes - what is important are the global lows. If you are able to avoid hurting your ears, you will keep improving and the number of good days will keep increasing.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's what I'm hoping, and I can accept this level of tinnitus. Commited to not making it worse.

Currently I'm wondering if there is a reason for the spikes... Like listening to music through speakers on a low level. I want to be able to know if this is safe or not, right now the worry and thoughts about what causes these fluctuations is the biggest problem and not the actual tinnitus.

I can handle a couple of bad days if I feel I get a grip on what affects my tinnitus and I know that better days will come. Right now my biggest fear is that it's going to get worse for unknown reasons, just as the reason it appeared in the first place is unknown.

4. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Yeah mine is the same, i just had 5 days of nearly non existing tinnitus (so low that i had to really search for it in a quiet room) and today it got again louder without a reason. But i agree with @Bill Bauer. Don't dwell on these days, ride them out and hopefully your silent days will continually increase.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      With so much random variability, it is difficult to pin down a reason. My T spikes as a result of exercise and consuming dairy foods.
      I have been doing it, and not noticing any problems...
      I am two years in, and several days ago my T became more high pitched for no reason that I can think of. It is terrifying. With T, you need to wait for a month or two before getting concerned that what you are experiencing is permanent...

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm about 3 months into this spike. The fact that it seems to get better gives me hope, but every time it returns it feels like I'm just trying to fool myself.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You shouldn't feel like you are fooling yourself. What matters is the monthly trend and the global lows. You can ignore the spikes that last less than a week - they are inevitable and normal. As long as you notice improvement compared to how you felt 1-12 months ago, there is no reason for the healing and fading to not continue.

• Like Like x 1
    8. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      t is so messed up. That makes no sense!

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That makes me feel a bit better, thanks.

Do you think it's harder to habituate to tinnitus when it's this variable?

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is hard to habituate to the spikes, however the spikes make it easier to feel like you have habituated during one of the good days. Many people mention that it takes about 18-24 months to begin feeling like you had habituated.