Why Does Tinnitus Caused by ETD Get Louder with Noise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hotaru, Feb 5, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      My T was not caused by noise, it was caused by URI/ETD. So why does it get louder when I'm exposed to noise? I went to get my hair cut, and I wore earplugs, but T got louder anyway.

2. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma from airplane descent, noise exposure? ETD? TMJD?
      Maybe some ear muscles like the tensor tympani could be involved?

3. Nick miles

Nick miles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Hoturu can I ask what noises you hear from your tinnitus?

4. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      The sound in my left ear is a 6/10 low-tone ring that comes and goes, the sound in my right is a 9/10 cricket sounds, but sometimes it changes to a high-pitched ring. There's throbbing sometimes also. The ringing came become unbearable after exposed to noise or when the doctor screws with it. The other sound that is in my right ear is like a low-tone pulsing ring that sounds like if you banged a hollow copper pipe against something. That sound comes and goes also. The 9/10 ring is always there and hasn't gotten better.

• Useful Useful x 1
    5. Nick miles

Nick miles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nearly exactly the same as mine, although the past month I've got a new tone in my left ear that's low but amplified by other noises

6. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      How did you get your T?

7. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma from airplane descent, noise exposure? ETD? TMJD?
      I have some static hissing today:( It's hard to concentrate with any noise. I sorta like solving problems, but this one's tough. You would think a seasoned homicide detective would be able to figure it out wouldn't ya? I seemed quiet yesterday, but I took a combo of pills in the morning. Would eating dog chow mess up my TMJD?

8. Nick miles

Nick miles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      No idea, in my left ear I've had it since 1996, right ear since 2004, my left ear never pops properly, like when I do the vasalva it takes ages for the air I've blown in there to come out

9. MarkyMark

MarkyMark Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress,from high tension video games, flu,
      I've had severe tinnitus for almost 20 years, It's like being in Spain on a balmy summers evening.
      That's how I remember it sounding, I can't actually hear those critters anymore.My T is with me every waking minute I find sleep is my only relief. The brain seems to want to latch on to it. I probably wouldn't notice the sound if I was running from a hungry lion.
      I have to have earplugs when I go to a noisy event because it spikes and takes about three/four days to return to normal levels. I went to a club/bar a year ago last spring and forgot to take them,my hearing never recovered and my T is worse than ever. Hearing aids help me through the day, they're a godsend. Sometimes I leave them on in bed before dropping off to sleep. Anything that makes a noise spikes my T, kettles, shower,hairdryer,music,lawnmower, can't even check under the bonnet with the engine running. But night's out and airshows make it spike for days.
      My advise to all, if it's only really effecting you now and again, or maybe at bedtime, chill out about it.
      Try about feel comfortable with it and accept it in whatever way you can. You can hear, be grateful for that.
      Protect your hearing as much as you can, musician filter plugs helped me last year, I now use the total block out ones
      in noisy pubs, it's a bit anti social but everyone understands. For me it's about soundwaves passing through the body,it agitates the hell out of something in my brain. I was out last night, my head is hissing like a tap that's not quite turned off, but by Tuesday it should have settled back.