Why Is It So Uncommon to See People with Tinnitus Protecting Their Ears

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ed209, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is so encouraging to read! May I ask what kind of tinnitus she had though? Some people mention just a mild ringing at bed time. Others even say they have tinnitus when in fact they just have the fleeting kind that most people get. Did she describe hers?

2. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Neither of the ENTs I saw mentioned anything about protecting my hearing nor what is actually damaging. Yes, concerts and clubs are somewhat obvious. I measured the dB levels of my car on the freeway with music on and with the music being on for what I didn’t see as loud, it could get up to 80 dB! I’ve gone on a lot of roadtrips, and had 7-8 hour drives when I was in college that I’m sure did some damage.

3. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      ENTs are not your mom... they won’t tell you everything. ENTs won’t tell you to wear condoms either... some of this is common sense. Earplugs on your key ring? Not good enough for me. Foamies in my back pocket can get in the ears in about 2 seconds...

I have them in my pocket always... except for two times in my life, the two times I got tinnitus.

Be proactive... especially with hyperacusis. I stop to get gas... my earplugs are going in... why? The idiot getting gas next to you may hit their car alarm by accident. I’m going I to the store... earplugs going in... carts, kids... yellers.

Not fancy musicians or molded earplugs... I was safe for 20 years by easy, cheap, accessible foamies.

The same doctor in the doctor’s corner was around 20 years ago... it’s sad he is still one of the few out there helping. He said 20 years ago... basically, if the place is loud enough to raise your voice to the person next to you... you are probably damaging your hearing.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      She told me it bothered her when she studied really bad, but when she is busy or doing things, the tinnitus not there, it only appears when she's stressed out. I didn’t want to ask her too much because she was doing so well with it. I just tried to tell her about protecting her ears from noise.

I asked her how she think she got it, she was not sure, but she used to listen to headphones very loud.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      There are laws now that govern how much noise one can be exposed to while at work. We were required to wear ear protection where I worked. Why is it that there are no noise laws protecting the unsuspecting public who go to these excessively loud concerts?? You go to a concert, pay a lot of money to sit near the front, and have no idea at all how loud it is going to be. Next thing you know, your ears are blasted out and you wake up the next day with permanent hearing loss accompanied by invasive Tinnitus for the rest of your life, and your doctor says...."Eh,..you'll get used to it." Its time for laws that protect the unknowing public.

• Agree Agree x 6
    6. Shaz1
      Gloomy

Shaz1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin / Noise Exposure
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6438925/

interesting article too
      most patrons want the volume to be lower too.
      i've definitely been to many shows where the volume made it unenjoyable (prior to my hearing issues).

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Same.