Why Is Tinnitus Better After a Night Out Drinking

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lauken83, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      So another solution out of this situation is to always have something to distract us/ stress about even more.
      That might not be so bad for some kind of personalities, but for the kind of personality that I had before getting T, it's very hard. I practically lost my old self forever and I have to become someone different.
      So I guess we have to live dangerously, on the edge all the time. And I used to be so mellow before T., "contemplative/meditative", if you know the kind. T is the worst condition IMO. AND, to top it off, it's invisible, unless you have money and possibility to put it in evidence with one of those tests (qEEG, f MRI and the like), and you cannot do that all the time, like measuring the blood pressure or the glucose level.

2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015

Not necessarily, to me it shows that T can be zoned out when you don't prioritise it and go about your day focusing on other things. My example was more of an extreme one that shows the mind is far more plastic than some of us realise.

It's basically habituation.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      But you have to focus on other things, don't you? What about the times when we could let our minds free. For me those times are lost. As soon as the seat is free, T comes and takes the central space.

4. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Interesting quote. So you mean that T became front and center only because you were wallowing and thinking negatively?

5. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I lay in bed all those nights with raging T and it didn't bother me one bit. I really was past it and I did relax a lot in quiet rooms without it effecting me at all.

I think it's down to addressing your reaction to it. Distraction leads to not caring and ultimately that's when the volume drops. It's unlikely that it actually does buts it's the fact that you aren't dwelling on it that makes a huge difference. I don't remember lying there with raging T, I just forgot about it.

I wish I could just flick a switch and get back to that mental state cos I'm like a yo yo. I keep going back and forth like this and I'm hoping I can make the switch permanent.

I reckon you're a lot less likely to be affected by it if you are happy (have things to do/look forward to) then if you are depressed or anxious about the future. Probably the main reason celebrities just brush it aside.

Your mental state is extremely important. One thing I noted from a dirk de Ridder lecture is that people with OCD tend to have a really hard time getting over T because they tune into it like scanning for a station on a radio. He notes that even if there was a physical change making their T quieter it's unlikely to make them feel better because they would still zone in on it. That was a real eye opener for me because I'd say I express some mild traits of OCD.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Exactly.

7. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      My main worry is how I will manage with T when I will be old and alone and weak. When the things to look forward to are out of the agenda. That is my scariest thought: getting old with T. Usually society rejects old people, only if they were celebrities once they may visit for an interview, otherwise old people are avoided. I could have spent that time writing or something like that, but this is one of the activities that T can impede a lot.
      Any other ideas?

8. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Exactly that. For weeks at a time I can say that I was 'cured'. Each time it's happened to me I've always wondered why it ever bothered me, that's how beyond caring I have felt at various times. Life became my own again. The problem is that I keep drifting back into my negative mindset and then I make T a big deal again. Once that happens I sit listening to the loud ringing noise again, like tuning in on the radio dial.

It really is just habituation, which we all know is a well known phenomenon.

9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I bet once you've spent a long time habituated it becomes very hard to snap out of it.

10. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I will put my chips on your number too, otherwise I am so screwed.

11. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Could alcohol thin the blood allowing for better blood flow to the inner ear?
      Maybe something like vinpocetine would then possibly also help that individual.