Will the Depression Ever Lift?

Discussion in 'Support' started by hartje5, Jul 24, 2016.

1. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      Hi guys,

I'm back. Staying away from TT isn't working so I'm posting again. Started my 12 week tinnitus habituation course. Had two meetings. Don't know what to think. Depression is my biggest enemy at the moment. I am tapering of Valium. Am on 3 mg a day and 30 mg Remeron but am so down you won't believe it. Feel suicidal nearly every day. My heart aches so bad. It's not the tinnitus that is my biggest enemy at the moment it is depression.

Help me please.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Karel
      Tired

Karel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Sorry to hear it's not really going better yet. What T habituation course are you taking exactly? I'm still considering Into Ears myself, but the whole therapy costs like over a thousand Euro (not covered by any insurance of course) and there's a three month waiting list too..

3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @hartje5 . Hi the depression is the worse thing when you have tinnitus. Once you get your depression under control you will better handle your tinnitus There are many who won't take anti depressants for the fear of making it worse well sometimes you have to. I did and it took my depression away. It's finding the right drug to suit your depression I tried the drugs which you are on now but they didn't work for me until my doctor gave me Amitriptyline. And it's working for me. Maybe you need a change in medication . I don't know? i hope you feel better soon.

4. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      • Agree Agree x 2
    5. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      I noted that my anxiety caused me to be depressed, only started when I developed SSHL and tinnitus. Never had anxiety or depression before ! Terrible feeling, luckily after 6!weeks anxiety is gone and so is depression. I am just annoyed that tinnitus continues ! 4 months !!!!
      @hartje5 hang in there !

6. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      The ativan is making me very depressed. The tinnitus is pissing me off. My guess is the depression will lift after the chemicals are gone. Reality sucks too, but you can fight that.

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @hartje5 ,
      Depression can be hard going and how it impacts in your day and can be very debilitating but there is help.
      Medication and talking therapy work really well together and great support from your doctor and family and friends and forums.
      If your on medication it just takes a while to get the one that's best for you and get the medication working over 4-6 weeks and the right dose for you.
      Sleeping well and eating well will help but it can be easy to go off food during depressive Times.
      Depression is very common so do what you can to lift your mood like getting out in the fresh air and mixing with people.
      Tinnitus groups are a great support.
      Keep posting for support....lots of love glynis

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hartje5
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks everyone, It feels so good to hear from people who know what I'm going trough. :huganimation:

@Richard zurowski I'm scared to change anti d meds or do anything to make make T. worse. Remeron makes me sleep so I don't want to stop using that yet. It does have an effect on my depression but not enough I guess.

@Nonna I think (and hope) it's the valium tapering that is making me so depressed. But I will push on, I want to get rid of the benzo's in my body. Depression returns with a vengeance every time I do a taper. After some time I don't feel as depressed anymore, but I just weird from the meds, not like myself.

@Sebastians I'm in France now and plan to go for a 30 minute walk everyday. Walking the dog used to be my hobby.

@Karel I'm taking the tinnitus habituation course with Lentis 'doven en slechthorenden afdeling' in Groningen. It's covered by my insurance. It's in the 'basispakket' so it's free for everybody. Where do you live? There might be a 'GGZ instantie' near you that provides such care.

@Dominic1955 So glad to hear you are doing better now :). It's the same for me extreme anxiety over T. and H. made me lose sleep and made me go into depression. I never had anxiety or depression issues before T. Are you off all meds?

@glynis I did not know depression was such an awful disease. People who have not been depressed just cannot imagine what it feels like. Do you take medication or where you on medication before? People keep telling me to think more positively. But it is not that simpel. In the evening my depression often goes away and my thinking pattern changes completely. Like I'm some other person during the day.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Yes. It's one of those things in life where FIRST you have to make yourself do it, and THEN you feel better - first go out for a walk, or a jog, or to the park, or a cafe, or call a friend, or etc., and THEN, better feelings arise.

This isn't the whole answer. It's one of many coping techniques that can help you on your way. <3

Sending support to you!

10. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I am on 75mg Effexor I take at night.
      I was on amitryptaline 50mg on top from the hospital for Ostio Arthritis but as Effexor can help pain I came off Amitryptaline about a month ago after 12 years + .
      Depression can be hard and some not even want to get out of bed or washed and not eat and get withdrawn and loose self esteem and confidence and self worth and don't like to go out and get social anxiety but that is sever depression ....lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      @hartje5 I am taking 7.5 mg of Remron and 0.25mg of Xanax at night so I can sleep, T is super loud today and it's 4 months but it does not cause anxiety. I hope this is not the best it gets! I believed that with habituation u stop hearing the T ? Hopefully

12. Karel
      Tired

Karel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I see! I live in Amersfoort but I'm willing to travel to any place in Holland if they have something that can help me. Currently my H bothers me more than my T though, so I think I need something also aimed at that. Into Ears seems to have that, so I think I'm going to put myself on the waiting list there soon. If I really feel I can't get this under control anymore myself. It's a lot of money, and no guarantees it'll even help..

13. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      What would they be able to provide more than 'just' trt?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hartje5
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @glynis My psychiatrist doesn't want to give me amytriptaline, he says it might cause problems with my heart.

@Karel I think you're better of with Into Ears. My program seems mainly CBT orientated. "De Riethorst in Ede GGZ voor doven en slechthorenden" offers a free training. You might want to look into that?

@Dominic1955 Glad to hear you're only on such a tiny amount of meds and can cope with that. About habituation: I sometimes do not hear my T. I can forget about it for short periods of time. That might be habituation in its early stages. My husband says he only hears his T (loud, constantly changing) when he thinks of it. It seems like when you are able to let go emotionally, it will back off for most people.

@Path Maker Thank you. I'm lucky to have friends and family who help me. I going to force myself to take walks.

15. Karel
      Tired

Karel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Well I hope it works out for you anyway. If I ever do end up going to Into Ears I'll let you know how it went there.

16. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      You need more meds.
      Ask your shrink for something to compliment the Remeron.
      Feeling suicidal every day and cutting down on your meds is the wrong way to go.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hartje5
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm cutting down on valium. Not my anti depressant. I believe the benzo is making me worse.