Worried About Tinnitus Worsening After a Car Engine Revved and Utlimately Backfired

Discussion in 'Support' started by Salamanders16, May 1, 2020.

1. Salamanders16

Salamanders16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone. Yesterday I was at the walk-up ATM and someone thought it would be funny to rev their engine next to us and the engine ultimately backfired (luckily it was farther away and not right next to us when backfiring). It was still pretty close maybe 20-25 ft away. I immediately covered my ears as soon as I heard the first “shot” so it was for about a second of exposure. My right ear felt slightly muffled, but has since felt mostly better. I was pretty upset and still am irritated over the whole thing. I feel because something happened I’m paying attention to my tinnitus more and keep going back to that incident wondering if it did any permanent damage, or if this will pass. I have been taking NAC and magnesium and staying in a quiet area. I’m just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or any advice. Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Salamanders16

I doubt that your tinnitus would have been affected by the backfiring of the engine, as you were quite a distance away and the sound although loud was brief. Try to take your attention away from the tinnitus as this can cause stress. Stress can make tinnitus seem worse and tinnitus can induce stress, so it can become a vicious cycle if you're not careful. Play some low level relaxing music in the background for sound enrichment and use nature sounds at night by your bedside. Keep the sound slightly below the tinnitus and not masking it. Focus on other things and this will help lower any anxiety and stress taking your mind off the tinnitus and it will reduce.

I advise that you don't use headphones even at low volume.

Best of luck
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Salamanders16

Salamanders16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the advice!

• Like Like x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have had multiple incidents that lead to spikes. Most spikes are temporary. If you don't get a spike the next day, you are probably in the clear.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Salamanders16

Salamanders16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the advice!

• Friendly Friendly x 1