Worrying About My Mother. White in Eyes.

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by MikeB1996, Nov 29, 2017.

1. MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      My tinnitus is the least if my worry right now, my mother got white in her eyes about 8 months ago, she went straight to the doctor and told him about, he said she'll get an appointment to the hospital to get it removed?

However he said it will take a long while for whatever reason. It's been 8 months now and we heard nothing back and it's getting worse for her to a point where if it's sunny outside she has a hard time seeing.

It's really killing me that it's happening to her, I just hope there is someone here that knows about this and knows if that surgery will make her see properly again? And why the long waiting? We live in Ireland if that helps.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you saying she has cataracts or glaucoma?

3. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Since eyesight is so very precious and apparently this is taking a very long time for her to receive any follow-up, I suggest you advocate on her behalf, call again and insist that she see someone soon. There is no way any member here could know what the difficulty is; she should, of course, be given a diagnosis by a qualified ophthalmologist. If the condition is not serious, the doctor might want to monitor it. On the other hand, if surgery is indicated I would think you would want that to occur as soon as possible and not wait 8 months to know what is happening.

If we don't speak up for ourselves, who will? Sending good wishes and I hope your mother's eyesight will be OK.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      Thank you @Bobbie7 calling the hospital here is a nightmare , i called many times leaving my name and number and did not get a call back, i guess I'll just travel to the hospital myself.. It's a joke really :/ it's killing me seeing her like this.
      And @Bill Bauer yes, not sure the exact name for it, she describes it as a mist, and bright light makes it a lot worse for her. I hate how doctors here don't take anything Seriously.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      I really appreciate the support and help here, it means a lot to me.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      A quick search on Google and i found this..

MORE THAN 6,000 people in Ireland have been waiting more than a year to either see a consultant or have surgery to restore their eyesight.

Figures released to TD Denis Naughten indicate 2,558 people have been waiting over 12 months to have a cataract removed after already waiting to see the consultant to get on the treatment waiting list.

A further 3,811 people have been waiting more than 12 months to get an assessment from a consultant just to get on the 15-18 month waiting list for cataract surgery.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Search the internet for
      symptoms glaucoma
      symptoms cataract

If it is cataracts, then a simple surgery will take care of it, and I don't think there is a need to be in a hurry.

If left untreated, glaucoma can lead to permanent blindness.

Is she unable to see things in the center of her field of vision? Do straight lines appear to be curved or broken when she looks at them with one eye? If so, it could be age-related macular degeneration (the most common reason why people go blind). Vision can be saved if one is treated early. Delay results in blindness...

So I hope you pull out all stops and get an eye doctor to see your mom. Blindness is worse than T...

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      @Bill Bauer i quickly looked up cataracts and the images look exactly like her eyes now, almost as if there was a heavy mist in the black part of her eyes, thank you so much for your help, I'll search for an eye doctor or someone that can help, even just to reassure me that there is no need to panic.. T is nothing compared to losing sight you're right.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I believe that cataracts can be easily fixed, and would not result in blindness in case the surgery is delayed. I am not a doctor, so you will want to make sure that this is the case (by reading up on the internet).

Try to determine whether or not she has glaucoma. Cataracts is one of the symptoms of glaucoma, and glaucoma is a common disease.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      Hey @Bill Bauer a quick update, it's definitely cataracts.. I asked my mother's doctor and called the hospital to make sure, i wasn't with her my dad was and she doesn't speak much English.. Anyways i guess that puts my mind at ease now.. But the waiting will continue unfortunately.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      Once again, i cant be more thankful for your help.

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You are most welcome.

Cataracts can be a symptom of glaucoma. But it sounds like your doctor told you that she doesn't have glaucoma, she just has cataracts.