Would My Tinnitus Stop If I Quit My Stressful Job?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mattv, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I've read other people report this too, but I have periodic, but rare, episodes where my (normally awful) tinnitus almost completely stops. These usually only last a few hours, never days. I have almost always had this associated with taking time off from my normally super stressful job, but sometimes it just happens spontaneously.

I'm a pretty chill person with no other (diagnosed!) emotional or mental health issues. I was wondering therefore whether quitting my job (running a company) would eliminate my tinnitus completely.

My gut feeling is my tinnitus is stress related. I wonder if anyone has changed their lives significantly and seen their tinnitus abate as a result?

2. PeterPan
      Nerdy

PeterPan Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heat Exhaustion
      I quit a stressful job and my tinnitus went down quite a bit for a few weeks. But it came back after this. I also did a trial retirement for a while (about 3 months) after working in quite a low stress job, and the tinnitus didn’t really change (although I was spending most of the time doing software development :)).

And recently I worked in another state for 3 months, living in AirBnbs away from my partner and my tinnitus went up quite a bit.

One thing I have found is that I sometimes think my tinnitus is impacting my job performance and this creates quite a bit of stress itself which is maybe making it worse.

Everyone is different I guess. Maybe you could give it a trial somehow!

One thing I thought is that once I retired I’d have more time for exercise and this may help, especially losing weight. If anyone has done this and can share their experience I’d be most interested.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm a couple years out from retirement... but I could. I love what I do, just not the stress.

As far as weight loss, it's actually very easy. I've lost 20 lbs this year (working at home/refrigerator). You have to eat less. It's really that simple. I exercise a lot, but you cannot lose weight via exercise, but you can maintain it and you can gradually lose weight via exercise. The body just has a vicious feedback loop that knows if you start exercising, you will crave and eat more calories. It's too hard not to eat when you start ramping up your exercise level. I lose weight by dramatically reducing portions, and eating only fruits, vegetables, and lean protein.

You have to suffer. Sorry, but that's just the truth. Once you lose the weight, you will have a LOT more energy for exercise and the extra muscle mass will help you easily maintain it.

4. Gandalf

Gandalf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I believe stress can perpetuate or make tinnitus worse, but I don't believe stress, in and of itself, causes tinnitus. Just over a year ago I retired from an extremely stressful line of work. My tinnitus began 6 weeks ago during (what I believe to be) the happiest and most stress-free time in my life.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My tinnitus started (at least when it became truly intrusive) about 6 years ago during an extremely stressful time in my life. I'm not linking them directly, but I've noticed that it's only when I'm really free of work pressures (rare) that I have moments of relative silence. But, of course, it could be other things as well. My doctor believes stress is my primary cause...

6. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Stress does create tinnitus. Mine is from stress without a doubt, I call mine the trifactor (work, family, friends) and those 3 together created tinnitus hell. Stress causes a lot of problems and tinnitus is one of them. Noise is most of tinnitus, but it's not all.

7. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve noticed this trend with my job and tinnitus as well. I have a stressful job where I’m always behind and the work keeps coming. The vast majority of my worse tinnitus days coincide with work days. Most of my days off the tinnitus is largely manageable. Outside of work and the tinnitus itself my life is pretty stress free. I’m doing everything I can to retire ASAP. I’ve changed jobs once due to the noise at work. I may have to change again to get away from the stress.