Your Feedback on Our Monthly Update from Directors

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by Hazel, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Hey there, Tinnitus Talk members!

We recently started this thread to keep you posted on our work 'behind the scenes.' Some of you made nice comments in response (thanks!), but we decided to create this thread instead for any feedback or input you may have on our work. That way, our monthly updates thread stays clean and easy-to-read :)

So, feel free to give us your opinions on our work here!

Did you see anything in our Monthly Updates that you want to know more about? Post it here! Do you want to become directly involved in a certain project? Post it here! (Or PM us). Do you have an idea for a new project? Post it here!

We hope this will make the work of Tinnitus Hub (the managing entity of this forum) a much more interactive and truly grassroots experience.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      THANK YOU for this type of update and THANK YOU to everyone involved. If only other organizations had this kind of transparency. This gives me great confidence in wanting to donate and encouraging others to donate on my behalf.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Wow @Hazel this is great and really helps us understand how you are working for us.

Great update idea!!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Hazel you have a very busy May!!

I hope everyone reads the below message about what you are doing for Tinnitus Hub/Tinnitus Talk's members.
      The time and effort is beyond what most paid employees have done in the tinnitus community.

• Like Like x 1
    5. TimmyC
      Innocent

TimmyC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD possibly, or neck and jaw, or maybe anxiety?
      @Hazel we are so lucky to have dedicated people like you doing great work for sufferers. Have a safe flight and a good rest when you get home! I pray for the health of your mother.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Hazel I love the updates and very much appreciate them. Please keep them coming. With so little information out there on the progress of research, etc., these updates very much help to see that the ball is still rolling in some way to advance the cause and provides hope, encouragement, and something to look forward to.

All the best...

7. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      Not much to say, just that all your guys' work, and the updates, are greatly appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Big thumbs up for the updates. It's amazing how much time and effort you put into all of this @Hazel & @Markku. Much appreciated.

I'm still pretty new to the board, but will be watching eagerly for the monthly updates. :)

9. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Pretty impressive ehh?

A small donation of 25/50/100 dollars would really help. Whether it be a “university professor” or a builder or a primary school teacher. Our staff work for free, donations really help. Shame more people who use the forum can’t cough up some chump change for such a great service. You are a statistician, you would understand the dynamics far better than me... What if everybody who used this resource coughed out a little cash? Would it help? Honestly as a an artist and year 1 teacher it seems like it might help... I don’t know... Just a thought???

Take care MattS.

• Winner Winner x 1
    10. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      From what I understand, there are like 5000 members - so, yeah, I think even $25/person (annually?) could have a really important impact. Not that all 5000 members are active... but still.

In terms of my own contributions - I'm happy to contribute, as I have full respect for everything @Hazel and @Markku and the others do. I'm actually in PMs with them about a number of potential ways to contribute, and am happy to support in any way I can.

Now you've got me brainstorming methods for fundraising. What about an annual Tinnitus Talk raffle? Winner gets a low level light laser, or something like that. :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Creative Creative x 3
    11. Nonomat
      Wishful

Nonomat Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019 (mild) - 11/2019 (intrusive)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Hazel & @Markku

Hi there!

I really don't want to add more on your plate as I know January was a busy month. But I like the monthly updates and wanted to know if you'll keep doing them? :)

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Hey there :)

Glad to hear you like these updates. I must admit it's been hard to keep them up with so much on our plate. But I will make an effort, after Tinnitus Week, with another update!

13. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Incredible work by an amazing group of people. It really proves that anything is achievable with the right amount of effort and discipline, and I believe that Tinnitus Talk sets a great example to all other volunteer associations/charities.

Imagine the potential possibilities if hundreds, or even thousands, got involved with this kind of advocacy work!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Agree. We also need well known celebrities to raise awareness about noise exposure causing tinnitus but also hyperacusis.

If they actually warned us and stated that concerts etc may caused ringing and ear pain with continuous loud exposure which may end up being permanent.

If these warnings were stated maybe people will treat this condition seriously and not a fucking joke. That video of Carol made me so mad when she made fun of her husband for having tinnitus.

I reckon if Grimes were to raise awareness about tinnitus, Elon Musk will donate heaps of money to find a cure.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      Great update. :) I really appreciate the transparency, as others said. Gets me dreaming of a world where we wouldn't even need this forum as tinnitus will be cured.

I can only wish the updates won't be further apart than this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. Luke O'Flaherty

Luke O'Flaherty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I remember a while back that Tinnitus Talk was producing a 'Tinnitus Guide'. Has that been finished? Is it published?

17. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      For me, if that happened, Tinnitus Talk would remain relevant because we would absolutely find things to still talk about like what we are doing, the sound of silence etc.

• Like Like x 5
    18. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      This forum would be a whole lot less gloomy for sure. And for the first time veterans will be able to tell new timers about treatments rather than telling them that it's a long road to acceptance. I'm very excited about the future and day dream about that day.

• Like Like x 1