YouTube Neck Stretching & Tapping for Tinnitus Relief: Valid or Snake Oil?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Stanlex, Apr 18, 2021.

?

What do you think about YouTube tinnitus relief videos?

1. Valid

2. Snake oil

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Stanlex
      Wtf

Stanlex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2019 - mild, 03/2021 - the real shit
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something that cannot be identified by 21st century tech
      Hi.

During my research I came across many videos on YouTube promising instant or gradual tinnitus relief after few stretching excercises or some head tapping and so on.

The thing is, these videos look kinda professional and have many views, very high like to dislike ratio and lots of comments praising the instructor for getting partial relief or completely getting rid of tinnitus. Some say that they instantly got better, some say that after X weeks of repeating particular exercise got better. Then their comment is usually followed by the author responding that they are happy about it and recommends the sufferer to continue doing the exercise.

I personally have tried few stretching exercises but none of them gave me any noticeable instant relief. But perhaps they would help if someone was doing it for a few weeks, but the thing is that many of these exercises take a long time and aren't very comfortable, as you need to stretch your muscles for a few minutes, and your neck muscles are sore then. Therefore I personally wouldn't do it if I wasn't sure this isn't snake oil.

Maybe this won't work for noise induced tinnitus, but since you say that majority of tinnitus cases is noise induced, wouldn't that mean that majority of viewers of such videos wouldn't get any relief at all? Wouldn't the comment sections of the videos be flooded with angry and disappointed users claiming it's snake oil?

I don't know what to think about it. I don't want to offend the video instructors, perhaps it really helps people just I'm unlucky. Have you tried doing some neck stretching for a longer time and noticed an improvement to your tinnitus?

2. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      Be careful of the snake. Scams all of them, there's no cure for tinnitus.

3. Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      I’ve never tried the exercises on YouTube but I do find when I’m in bed, lie on my right side and stretch my neck away from my shoulder, then I can eliminate my tinnitus altogether.

Until I have to change position that is.

4. Brendon

Brendon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Signs point to a cervical issue
      Neck stretching videos have helped me.

My neck seems to be the culprit for my tinnitus.

• Helpful Helpful x 1