“Tips” for Listening to Speakers, Talking on the Phone, Watching TV, etc?

Discussion in 'Support' started by zozil_radical, Oct 27, 2020.

1. zozil_radical

zozil_radical Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise from MRI Machine
      For my job, I have to talk on the phone and use my laptop for virtual meetings a lot. I noticed the high-pitched noise of the speakers triggers my hyperacusis.

Does anyone have any “tips” to help with this? Are there special speakers I should use?
      I already stopped using a phone headset, and I always use speaker setting while on the phone... I also discovered “closed captioning” :)

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Wondering the same thing for Zoom calls. Not even the lowest volume does it for my pain hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      @zozil_radical Can you go into more detail about closed captions?

I'm also interested in the subject you raised. I invested into some better speakers, because I had old ones.

I tend to use my laptop more nowadays, since it's more quiet and use the PC to do tasks that demand more performance. Also, my stock CPU cooler is rather loud when under load so I think investing in an aftermarket cooler can help reduce background noise.

4. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2011 - Gaming on headphones. 2020 - Severe by breaking glass
      You can use your PC on your laptop remotely https://parsecgaming.com/

On local network it will feel like native experience.

Thank me later.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Which speakers do you use?

You need good quality speakers, especially if you have hearing issues like hyperacusis.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      zozil_radical

zozil_radical Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise from MRI Machine
      When I watch videos on my computer/phone/TV, I turn on closed captioning so I can read what they’re saying.

7. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @zozil_radical Yeah, but captions aren't always available. I thought you found some speech recognition software that does captions automatically.

@Snake I just tried Parsec today and it's awesome! Thanks!

8. iGL0CK
      Thinking

iGL0CK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (punk rock show)
      You can go into BIOS and set "Silent Mode" for all fans. Helps a lot, but if you have high overclocked CPU it's not a good idea because of high temperatures.

9. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
    10. Jen67

Jen67 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I was having terrible trouble with Zoom and got a pair of speakers where you can adjust the bass/treble on the speakers. (I put treble all the way down.). I put them on the floor on the side of my less bad ear, pointed away from me. It has been a game changer!

For TV, we did use closed captioning for awhile with lowered volume. It’s helpful to try to watch TV and listen to music at a volume you can tolerate. Gradually, you will be able to tolerate more and more.

11. Jen67

Jen67 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      The other thing I would add here is that proximity to the problematic sound is a VERY big deal. I had trouble listening to music from our stereo, but realized if I just sat on the other side of the room, farther away from the speakers, it made a huge difference in my reactivity to the sound.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Ya, I'm not sure why this is but I've noticed it as well. I've never, even at my worst had difficulty listening to reasonable volume audio from our TV in the living room, which is at minimum about 10 ft away, but similar volume audio from my laptop can still be troublesome.

13. Jen67

Jen67 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yes, but I do think that is also bc the laptop speakers are crappier. I’ve gotten terrible effects just from the speaker on my phone. Sound quality is also a significant factor.

14. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me, my phone is one of the best options because it doesn't have any additional noise like the fans of a PC and it has only one speaker meaning I can point it wherever I want. If the phone is not cheap I don't think there should be problems with the sound quality and there's not going to be any distortions since I listen at low volume. I'm no musician, so I am satisfied with the sound.

15. whatdidyousay

whatdidyousay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud volumes
      Are cell phones really that bad for the ears at low volumes? I try to use mine at the lowest allowable volume if I can. However, in a noisy room or in the car I may have to turn it up a bit. Used to talk on the phone for over an hour or more a day in previous years and not sure what types of volumes I used back then.

Also, is it uncommon to hear voices much differently in each ear? I've noticed that I can't seem to hear voices and music with the same detail/clarity as my left ear. So I've used the left ear as my "dominant ear" for talking on the phone for some time. Also, when I tilt my right ear to say a laptop speaker it seems like I also hear more details and less muffle in the left ear.

16. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, after 3 years of tinnitus, what works for me is keeping the iPhone at the lowest volume, and the TV at slightly higher than low volume. Good luck.

17. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      As already mentioned, try a jabra where you can control the volume and keep some space between your ear and the sound source.