>1 Month Shock, >2 Months Denial, >3 Months Slight Acceptance, >4 Months, Let’s Be Friends?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GingerMic, Sep 1, 2019.

1. GingerMic

GingerMic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Sorry for the long title.

It’s been just over 4 months and I’m beginning to feel this is now long term.

Acoustic trauma caused this horrific situation.

By the 3rd month I finally gave up the brown noise at night via my phone app (Rain Rain). Now, I just (somehow) ignore it and sleep. I think it’s my brain being exhausted having to put up with it but most likely it’s just work from the job... you know yourself sure.

I protect my ears now, obviously. Humour got me through in the beginning, but now, plain old patience seems to be my only grace.

To be fair I see the sleeping without aid, a massive emotional improvement.

I feel a bit greedy posting a second time under this same section, so if anyone could point me in the right direction for a next time. Perhaps in another 3 months I’ll be on the success page though! That would be nice.

We’re given life, but the deal is we have to suffer if we want any joy out of it... am I right?

Not a religious man myself, but the world was, for a very long time. So we’re all influenced by it. (And I’m from Ireland haha).

But then again, f**k this tinnitus business, it’s just not decent!

Thank you

Mic

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Have you tried the Reddit cure?

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For a month in, there is a decent chance it will fade in loudness over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GingerMic

GingerMic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @JohnAdams Tried that reddit cure. I guess it takes my mind away from the tinnitus. Will try it the next time it begins to bother me.

@Agrajag364 For a month in? I’m not sure I know what you mean.

5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Sorry about the sarcasm. It was kind of a joke. Most of us cringe when anyone brings that dumb crap up.

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Unlike what people are sometimes told by doctors, a proportion of tinnitus cases do fade and even sometimes go away over time. Nobody really knows what proportion.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GingerMic

GingerMic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @JohnAdams - Tis grand man. It’s all a bit of craic

@Agrajag364 - yea, it’s a funny old thing. Recently I went to a nurse about a different illness. Brought T up just because. And she said she had it after one too many raves but eventually, it went away. And now it only resurface every now and again.

Hopefully it eventually drifts away for all of us, or at the very least, leads us on to something we can learn to accept.

Or....we should all just take some LCD, journey to the inner ear via submarine and kick that **** outa the attic!

Keep her lit

8. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      It seems so!!! Like you until 4 months ago I didn't have this nightmare!

One thing I tried the last few nights has been to put a small ticking clock near to my worse off ear. It it so much more relaxing than other noises. Still not the silence i used to love though.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GingerMic

GingerMic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @all to gain - that’s an excellent idea. I even remember someone saying this would be soothing before I ever got T.

It’s incredible how ambient noise, like passing cars, would interrupt sleep pre-T but become a welcome relief post-T.

This may be a hot take, but maybe it’s a lesson for all those nitty picky people (like me) who want total silence to sleep. We never knew it could be a lot worse!

Life lesson haha

10. JudyM
      Frustrated

JudyM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My tinnitus also began in May, 2019. Sounds like yours may be intermittent, is that correct? In May mine was intermittent, but come July it is a high pitched constant roar.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I like the post title. There's a quote that says "suffering is inevitable but misery is optional". We've all been down in the depths with this monster, but every day that we get up and make something of our day, we rise above it. One little victory at a time.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GingerMic

GingerMic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @JudyM - it’s a constant noise but the ambient noise, like when I’m outside at work, or inside with the humming of the computer servers, drowns it out.

At home, the Xbox fan or traffic outside the window helps drown out the noise too.

I reckon I only ‘notice’ it intermittently, but it’s def constantly there. Fingers crossed though!

Requested an ENT, just to make sure I haven’t done any physical damage. Putting olive oil in one ear due to wax build up. But that has nothing to do with the noise. It’s just so the ENT can see into it when the time comes.

@Mister Muso - I like your message! Couldn’t be more true. Keep fighting buddy!

• Like Like x 1