10 Years with Tinnitus — Major Spike 2 Months Ago — Now It's Better!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Megatron, Aug 14, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Megatron

Megatron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      Hi all,

With fear of jinxing it I just wanted to tell you about my recent spike.

As mentioned I have had T for 10 years - very very loud in the beginning but over time it went from 9/10 to a 2/10 level. I never noticed it unless I tried to listen for it. Of course I have had spikes over the years but not really lasting longer than 14 days...

HOWEVER, 2 month ago after a very stressfull period, sinus infection and attending a concert my T went absolutely nuts. New sounds (hiiiigh pitched) and very loud. Nothing could mask it - only when taking a shower.
      I was right back to sqaure one - monitoring the sound, no sleep, not able to relax, not listening when people spoke to me, not able to concentrate at work, watch a movie, go for a walk, googling the internet ALL the time etc... It also became reactive again like before :-/
      I really never thought this could go back to baseline - but it did. Or nearly so to say - but "the feeling of I don't care anymore" has returned so it doesn't borther me.

I can sleeep again and are nearly back to life.

What did I do?: Took the sleeping pills so I could sleep. Sleep is SO important!!! Did some stretches 3 times a day, avoided loud noise, went for walks... The improvement came very slowly with setbacks and more setbacks.

So, there is hope if you have been habituated and T gets worse. It will go down to baseline again - or you will habituate much faster 2. or 3. time. (touchwood)

• Like x 13
      • Helpful x 1
      • Informative x 1
      • Useful x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    2. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Good to know! There have been posts on this forum before by people worried about their spikes being permanent, and for the vast majority it always seems to return to baseline.

Can you share with us how long it took to go from 9/10 to a 2/10 level? Also, did the volume actually reduce, or just your awareness of the tinnitus?

3. Megatron

Megatron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      It did reduce very much - took 5 years.
      I also became numb to The sounds - have multiple sounds, Can hear it over anything bur shower.
      It took 2 years but happened naturally - cannot be explained it just happened.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      So it took 2 years to become numb to the sounds, or "brain hardened," as some people on this forum refer to it. And it took 5 years for the volume to reduce.

I also have multiple sounds, and on the "bad" days I hear it over everything also. I do have "good" days, though, for which I'm grateful. It allows me to work on creative endeavors that otherwise it's impossible to concentrate on.

Thanks for the feedback :)

• Like Like x 1
    5. Freddie
      Worried

Freddie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      27/11/2013

Hello Megatron, I have had the noise now for nearly two years and I still find I am totally freaked out by it and just wish that someday I could get my peace back that I know I never will so I always am in awe of those people that say they have habituated. I try to live my life as best as I can and not let it take over but it really is hard at times, I would say my noise is probably an 8/10 virtually all of the time and is a hiss.

Can you please give me any tips on what you did initially to get you to that habituated state. i try so hard not to focus on the T but when it is noisy as mine is it is really hard to distract the mind.

Thank you for letting me share this with you and hope that you can help

Fred

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Megatron

Megatron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      Hi Freddie

Feel free to Call +453017721 we Can talk If you want?

• Like Like x 1
    7. Megatron

Megatron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      +4530177721 that is

8. Michael R
      Woot

Michael R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Good to hear your success story @Megatron . We need more of those around here. I am 2 months in with this loud high pitched electrical dog whistle sound. My sleep has been horrible, I wake up every hour and a half . What kind of sleeping pills did you take?

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. iliya
      Curious

iliya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Xanax
      Take Rohipnol and you will sleep all night 100%

10. Megatron

Megatron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      @Michael R

I only used very mild sleeping pills.... 7,5 mg.

@Freddie - hmm it is hard to give any advice because my experience is that the habituation process cannot be rushed. It comes naturally and to be honest when I was 2 years into my habituation I also had very bad days among the good days. I did not FREAK out anymore - it was more like I was sad about it (very sad).
      I have tried EVERYTHING and for me the only thing that worked is SLEEP (most important), stretching and TIME. It will get better - also for you but do not focus on time. Just focus on doing the right things and when you loose faith (I did many times) remember that the only cure right now is Time, Sleep and doing good things for yourself.
      Tinnitus stink - I really think so but I am also living proof of life can be exactly the same as before.

My T is LOUD - really loud. Hear it over anything! So whatever your sound is - you can habituate.

• Like Like x 6
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. AlisonS

AlisonS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2005
      Megatron ....love your post ! I have had T for 13 years and got it to a 1/10 until 9 weeks ago I had a virus which caused ETD and now I have a loud hissing 24/7 and its really getting me down , im on steroids at the moment but im scared I wont habituate again or get back to how my T was before ?

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Dante500

Dante500 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2009
      Good to hear that! Been on the same boat as you with my spike lasting for 2 months, it was last November. I've had T since August 2009 noise induced, habituated pretty quickly. But that spike, oh man, it was like I had Un-habituated and had to start all over again with all the anxiety, insomnia, stress etc. etc. Fortunately it subsided to my base-line gradually over 2 months. Stay strong!

• Like Like x 1
    13. Megatron

Megatron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      @Dante500 - Good to hear!
      Yes i follow you completely...! Mine was like the brain forgot the habituation...?!?. On top I got new sounds - did you also get that?

14. Dante500

Dante500 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2009
      Yes there was new sound, which was changing its pitch constantly from day to day - some days louder, some days quieter. I took melatonin every night and ginko pills 3 times a day for 2 months and one day the spike was gone for good. I think that I will keep having those spikes from time to time now but next time I'll know this will go back to normal again, just need to give it time.

15. Newbie
      Alienated

Newbie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Megatron are you still here on this site? I have come across your post and it has given me hope! I am 20 years old and I had mild tinnitus for 14 months . Last month it spiked and it sent me into a world of anxiety and panic again . It feels like it's louder although it comes and goes . I never heard my tinnitus over anything before and now I hear it over TV etc, do you think it will eventually go away when the panic, anxiety and monitoring goes away? Thank you

16. Megatron

Megatron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      Hi @Newbie

Have not been to the site for a while :) Got an e-mail alert from your reply.
      Yes - in fact I am 100% sure it will go back to what it was.
      But - I am also 100 % sure that you will Experience other spikes in the future.
      The hard part is to stay calm between the good and bad times.
      But the main thing here - it will return to baseline.
      But - be aware it can take some time my friend.

17. Newbie
      Alienated

Newbie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Megatron thank you very much for your reply I feel this is great news as I was starting to lose hope! I know I just hope by the time a few years pass and I get a few more spikes they will have improved some treatments that may help! it's great that you say you're 100% sure! I'm such an anxious person anyway so and slightly suffer with hypochondria so I love reassurance to get me through! I hope you didn't 'jinx' yourself after this post thanks again!

18. Thomt

Thomt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/98
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise? unknown.

Megatron,

This is exactly the same thing that happened to me. I had T for 15 years. It was bad at first but after a few years I habituated to it. Now 2 months ago I had a spike and it's not going down that much. I can hear it in the shower if I listen for it.
      I need some sleeping pills to help me sleep, (I didn't sleep good last night so hopefully my grammar is ok). I'm going to do what you did and hopefully it will go back to baseline.
      Thanks for the write up. I feel like I have some hope again.