11-Week Update from Acoustic Trauma (Tinnitus, Hyperacusis, TTTS)

Discussion in 'Support' started by COYS, Apr 4, 2019.

1. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Hi All,

I'm now 11 weeks into my struggle with tinnitus, hyperacusis (pain mostly) and TTTS.

Tinnitus

My tinnitus seems to have settled slightly or I'm just getting used to it? I can only really hear it in quiet rooms so I'm lucky in that respect (I know others have it much worse). I used to be able to hear it over conversations at work and the TV but this seems to have subsided slightly.

I seem to have sorted out my sleeping issues which were absolute hell for about 4-6 weeks. I'm using waterfall sounds to sleep and get 6-8 hours most nights with a couple of awakenings each night.

Hyperacusis & TTTS

My hyperacusis pain seems to be getting less painful and more "tingling" or "tickling" is probably the best way to describe it. My ears feel full on the odd occasion but this seems to subside relatively quickly.

I'm convinced that my tingling sensation is coming from my TTTS as I can feel my eardrum flutter when I watch things on my iPad for example or crumbling a crisp packet.

I suppose my big question is will this ever go away completely? Some of these sounds don't feel to loud to me (for example opening a crisp packet) yet my ears still click/pop/twitch to it? It's infuriating because I don't know if I have pure hyperacusis with pain because things don't feel too loud. If I do have I'm assuming it's mild.

I've also noticed that my right ear twitches more and this is the ear with the louder tinnitus. I've also noticed that scratching my head above my ears causes my ears to twitch. I thought this might be nerves but I'm thinking it might be the sound of me doing it. The reason I think this is if I scratch the left side of my head my right ear twitches but my left doesn't.

Hearing

My hearing test up to 8 kHz came back absolutely fine (nothing under 10 dB drop).

I've tested my higher frequencies with a tone generator app on my phone and I can hear up to 14 kHz on 7% phone volume in both ears. My left drops off at 15 kHz but by right is slightly better and drops off at 16 kHz (which is weird because my right ear has the louder tinnitus?!)

My speech in noise test came back okay too so all in all my hearing itself isn't too bad.

I did notice that works with "S" or "F" in them sounded weird at first but I think this is improving slightly.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to get all of my symptoms written down so I can get any advice/similar stories (hopefully of recovery).

Thanks,

COY

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      let your ears rest and consider taking magnesium, never go to to a loud venue or concert for the rest of your life if you want the best recovery.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      I’ve been taking magnesium for the last two weeks and I’ve avoided loud venues.

I’ll be taking ear plugs with me to pubs etc

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Good news on the hearing side I can hear up to 15khz in my left and 16khz in my right.

TTTS still continues to be an issue

5. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Hey :) how are you doing since then? I’ve been experiencing the same thing as you. Distortions in hearing (for me it’s the letters L and R that sound weird or flat), and I just started to get fluttering in my ears, which is making things a bit quieter but my hearing tests are same as yours, no drop after 10 dB and I can hear up to 18000 Hz (I’m 21 so this makes sense). I thought I was losing my hearing and freaked out but read about TTTS and I’m convinced my own anxiety from tinnitus caused hyperacusis which then caused TTTS. Go figure :(