1st Order Pharmaceuticals Inc: 1OP-2198

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Mic, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      • Like Like x 10
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    2. The King

The King Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosi
      Hi Mic; in this video ; talk about Tinnitus ? Can you resume the info in this video please (i don't unterstand english)
      Thank You

3. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Its a newer development of Trobalt with a higher potency, longer half life and hopefully an improved side effect profile.

• Like Like x 2
    4. The King

The King Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosi
      Thanks Paulie; in the video talk about cure for tinnitus or only for epilesy ?

5. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Only for Epilepsy which is what its being developed for. But that does not mean it won't assist with Tinnitus :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. The King

The King Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosi
      Grazie; so much for answer me

7. papu
      Chatty

papu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      1st Order Pharmaceuticals
      http://www.1storderpharma.com
      1st Order Pharmaceuticals (1OP) is a development-stage pharmaceutical company focused on advancing its drug, 1OP-2198, a clinical stage Kv7.2/Kv7.3 opener in epilepsy and pain. It also has a discovery program for parenteral administration.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    8. lambos

lambos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 5 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      It will be interesting if or when this drug might potentially be available...it sounds promising after just listening to the video...thanks Mic for posting this!!

• Like Like x 3
    9. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Has any one fired off an email to this chap in regards to the drugs potential use for tinnitus?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Yes, mailed the CEO of 1st Order Pharmaceuticals. He responded with a very interesting mail:

"Thank you for the email inquiry about 1OP-2198 and its potential use in tinnitus. I did a little research and found the tinnitus talk website where 1OP-2198 was discussed. You should also know that I was part of the team that shepherd Potiga(ezogabine) through NDA approval at the FDA into the US marketplace. I’ve also read the conversations on tinnitus talk about individual's experience with Potiga in self medicating their tinnitus to varying degrees of success.

There are many challenges in gaining approval of a treatment for tinnitus and that animal models (such as the one that demonstrated effectiveness in a rat for SF0034) do not always translate to clinical efficacy. However, they are a very good as a first Proof-of-Concept. There is a lot of interest in the research community about potassium channels being valid targets in treating tinnitus and I was disappointed with Autifony’s failed clinical trial.

Right now, the focus is to advance 1OP-2198 into phase 1 clinical trials to demonstrate pharmacokinetics and tolerability after oral administration. That does not preclude us from investigating the nonclinical potential in other animal models orthogonal to epilepsy.

I would appreciate any epidemiology information or natural history information you may have on tinnitus. The biggest challenge I see in designing effective clinical trials is initially defining a narrow clinical population to test a drug with well validated tools."

Upon this mail I responded with some recent insights about pre-clinical animal models for tinnitus research and referred to the potassium channel papers of Thanos Tzanoupoulos. Also asked him kindly to inform me if they decide to test this drug on tinnitus.

This was a week ago.... If I get a response I will share here!

• Like x 18
      • Informative x 2
      • Agree x 1
      • Helpful x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Useful x 1
    11. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Mic
      That's great, thanks for following this through.
      Look forward to seeing another response!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      This guy is no unique case - there are way more researchers who lurk this site than y'all realize. This website is a huge motivational factor for them. They definitely notice how much self-research we do here.

• Like Like x 6
    13. dgray

dgray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, High Frequency Hearing Loss
      Man, this would be the best if someone actually come up with the silver bullet. Thank-you for pursuing this sir.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      @Mic did you ever hear anything else from 1st order?

Does anyone know if limiting the potassium channels to only 7.2 and 7.3 will mean the drug will still have similar side effects on the eyes? Kidneys? If this drug was effective roughly how quickly would a tolerance to it build up? I remember reading that Trobalt users developed a tolerance. I'm not sure the mechanics on how that would happen. Would the potassium channels reduce their respond to a given level of the drug or does the what the potassium channels interact with reduce in its response? If this question hasn't been answer it might be worthwhile for researches to understand it if they want to create a long term therapeutic (great if your a company cause who would stop paying for a drug that nearly eliminated their T).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      In the video above they mention selectivity over the KCNQ4 and KCNQ5 channels are those 7.4 and 7.5. Does that mean it act to a greater ratio on 7.4 and 7.5 or am I misinterpreting that. If so why would they do that I though 7.4 effected the bladder? Is it useful in epilepsy? If so

They also mention that they are preparing to do clinical trials later in the year (was Feb 2016) so they should be close-ish to a clinic trials now...?

16. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      sorry they mention it later in the video that while not as good as sciflour they do try to limit 7.4 and 7.5 effects.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      After my last contact they have updated the company website with more information.... and tinnitus is now on the list as a potential target for the drug they are developing ;)

http://www.1storderpharma.com/pipeline/

@Jim51042 Mr Crean, the CEO of the company, was a member of the team that developed Retigabine. Any future medicines they are working on must have better effectivity and lesser side effects since this would be the 2nd generation of Kv7 modulators. With the experience of Retigabine it is also less likely that the FDA would approve anything that isn't safer than Retigabine.

• Like Like x 3
    18. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      @Mic Im new to the science approval process, how long do you think it would take for FDA approval. Would it go faster as a second generation drug?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      To be realistic... I think it would take another 5 to 10 years for approval of an effective drug... especially because of the unfortunate fact that nobody besides the tinnitus suffering community are considering a cure urgent.

But... there are other initiatives right now that are focussing on a direct intervention in the brain (aka DBS) which could lead to localisation of the problem and provide new leads for fast tracking a cure in the form of a medicine.

So... my fingers are still crossed for a fast cure in a couple of years.

• Like Like x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    20. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      @Mic Do you think with the younger generation's constant exposure to iPhones, and thus the possibility of a hearing/tinnitus epidemic, there will be more interest in this particular field from pharmaceutical companies? Just seeking your two cents on the matter, I've been reading your posts with interest :)

21. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      That would be great do you have any thoughts on how they could connect DBS insites with new drugs.

• Funny Funny x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      To be honest I don't think pharmaceuticals care about young people getting their T from iPhones or veterans getting them from machine guns and bomb blasts. They care about a large enough customer base that can turn their investment in profit. Nobody can blame them for this because in the system we live progress is equal to making your shareholders happy.

With this respect I think awareness is the key for promoting a serious attempt for a cure (if the majority don't know what distress a condition like T causes nobody will care). The team at TinnitusTalk does a good job in organizing awareness but we can do also something about it on the individual level.

Just use the power of social media to trigger action. Approach people who have the power to influence the masses like Will I Am or William Shatner (who also suffer from T) and businesspeople like Elon Musk (who has started Neuralink for brain diseases / enhancement) or Mark Zuckerberg (who has invested in big data for different medical conditions). The important thing hereby is not to underestimate the power every one of us have to set things in motion.

Simple... if you know what part of the brain causes/suppresses T you can look at that part under a microscope and work on chemical interventions on those neurons instead of piercing them with a diode and walking with chopsticks in your brain ;)

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      :D :wacky: :LOL: (y)

24. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Now that I like the sound of!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Codaz

Codaz Member

Self research is mostly seen as bad. Especially by the ENT's and other doctors I have seen. From one side they urge you to read on their own hospital website (to save time in their visiting hours) from the other side they don't like you to doctor yourself. One ENT even got a bit angry saying "you didn't study medicine did you?".
      We all have access to the research papers nowadays but doctors don't like it. Especially not if it tells newer knowledge than they already have or tells things they are convinced about and state otherwise. There are very little doctors that really listen to the patients opinion. Plus there is a lot of nonsense online, where the doc's also have to deal with.
      So from one side I understand that since indeed I didn't study medicine, from the other side a lot of knowledge is outdated and people should be open and understanding. I hope it will improve over time but don't know.

This forum might be a motivational factor since it's quite big. But since T is not directly lethal it neds much an much more docs to work on it.

I wonder why every paper comes back onto anti epileptical drugs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is lots of clinical studies on other type of meds too such as Parkinson’s drugs, Anti Anxiety Meds (Benzodiazepines), Anti depressants etc. I'm trailing Sifrol (pramipexole) and its a Parkinson drug.

Trobalt on this forum was a huge deal as it was the first med that gave some people here complete silence (although antidotal). Sadly its been taken off the market; but thankfully other companies are developing other potassium channel openers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      • Like Like x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    28. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      And they hope phase 2 by mid 18. I guess this schedule is ahead of our intial prediction.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Xenon pharmaceuticals has currently 56M€ market cap only.

Somebody in to buy some stocks and take it over?

• Like Like x 1
    30. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Is this the same medicine that dr tzounopoulos developed?

• Like Like x 1