3 Acoustic Traumas within 36 Hours. Should I Be Taking More Methylprednisolone?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jack Barnes, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Jack Barnes

Jack Barnes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have experienced 3 acoustic incidents in the last 36 hours, one of them caused me to reach my pain threshold and leave the room. Reaching the threshold caused a strange popping and felt like something opened up in my throat/ears. The other 2 caused immediate swelling around the outside and below my ears, along with the feeling that my eardrums were on fire. At the moment, it feels hot deep inside both ears along with pressure but no muffled hearing yet, along with the area on my face around my ears and below them being swollen. I would rate my T volume at 5\10 and it sounds like constant fluctuating high to mid pitch tones. Very annoying.

The problem is, I just got finished taking a pack of Methylprednisolone (4mg tapered Dosepak 84 mg total) on Nov 2nd, which was yesterday, and I think I may need more because I failed to protect my ears.

Any advice on what I should do? Is it safe to me to take more steroids at this point? Keep in mind I just got finished taking 84mg of the stuff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The anxiety from this has been a total nightmare..

Thanks so much
      Jack

2. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use

I'm not sure about the medication. If it's acoustic trauma then you would have likely hearing impairment if 3 were to happen in such a short amount of time. If you haven't. I'd say you're quite lucky. I'm 17. I got two acoustic traumas when I was 16 in the matter of 2 weeks. My hearing has never been the same. Yet my audiogram is normal (they aren't full proof exams).

It has to be extremely loud to reach the pain threshold. Honestly, that level of sound sounds scary to me considering my H and T. But since you've had such a consistent amount of traumas some of them likely may of actually been Hyperacusis. It's hard to hit the pain threshold. Hyperacusis does feel like knives in the ear. However you be the judge of that.

What sound caused these pains? Also T tends to settle down to a baseline after a trauma. It may take a week or even month or more.

T is very traumatic in the beginning. I understand. If you have any questions please do feel free to send me a private conversation message.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I think we don't have the same definition of an acoustic trauma

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Definitely. This seems a little off? But I am not one to question what has happened to @Jack Barnes however I wish them the best.

5. Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Julien87

I think we can acknowledge that something isn't right in their ear though.

6. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      What sort of acoustic trauma?

7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Taylorslay I hope you decide to go back to high school next year and get your diploma. If you get good grades and SAT scores, college could be almost free of costs. Financial aid is also an option.

8. Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I definitely want to go back. I had perfect grades before I left. My past history is pristine but I'm not sure how things will go when returning with H and T. Thats why I'm hoping that I heal or can get treatment if it doesn't go away within the first 6 months. I want to go back. I want to graduate with my diploma.

In my current financial standing I get nearly everything free through financial aid.

I'm going to take the SAT later this year when its offered.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Barnes

Jack Barnes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Taylorslay It's been a while since I've posted but In retrospect I think i was just going through some severe hyperacusis. Well, I don't know for sure but after each of the incidents both of my ears would immediately fill up with fluid and my T would change to some extent. I have also had an audiogram done by an ENT and apparently I have great hearing, but I can tell for sure that something is off. For instance some sounds sound like a dog barking from a distance just sound like beeping noises. Also I'm able to hear high pitched noises coming from appliances and electronics better.

The last 2 months since my initial acoustic trauma have been hell for me and things are getting worse with no answers coming from the doctors. I think I'm gonna make a post sometime today or tomorrow to hopefully get some insight from the members here about wtf is going on with me.

Thanks for replying to my thread and I'm sorry it's been so long
      Jack

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

You may have hyperacusis but the great thing with Hyperacusis, is most people have theirs go away within the first 6months to a year. It easily heals from a spike as well. I'll spike from something loud and later in the day 70% of the spike is gone. Which is awesome. Its important to understand a spike from something that seems loud and a spike from something that is actually loud. Since Hyperacusis turns up the volume of everything, to the point its painful. Its important to understand that most sounds in everyday lives are not damaging.

Since you have Hyperacusis its important to understand that you should not sit in silence or cover your ears. Try exposing yourself to as much sound as possible. I suggest something soft like a tower fan or... my favorites
      12 HOURS of Gentle Night Rain - Sleep,...
      BAMBOO WATER FOUNTAIN | Relax & Get Your...
      FOREST CREEK Nature Sounds | 11 Hours (For...

I usually fall asleep with these because when there is a change in sound, like someone opening a door or talking, I instantly get woken up. (I've always been that way.) But these sounds are steady. They are not like listening to a TV when trying to sleep. So they are much more soothing. It may seem counter intuitive to be exposing yourself to sound since everything seems loud enough to hurt you, but trust me, this is to desensitize your auditory system.

I know the exact feeling the hearing. I have the same experience. What I presume, is that we had great hearing to begin with, but we lost hearing still within the stage that would be considered "normal". However not enough to justify a significant loss.

If you're feeling a fluid in your ear its likely the symptoms of hurting your ears. Maybe not enough to damage them though. When I first hurt my ears, I had warmth, fullness, and a warm liquid like feeling. For others its different, some feel pain, some feel numbness. It varies. However, despite my symptoms being gone most of the time. I still experience warmth when in a crowded area like Walmart. Even though, the sound in Walmart is no where near 85 decibels. But once I leave the area, the warmth goes away within minutes. I don't presume this to be something damaging, maybe alarming to the person but not damaging.

Important This is the indicator whether you will get better or not. I am serious when I say this. If there is one thing that you take from me to learn, it is this. Important

Anxiety and stress are some of the biggest draw backs to T, H and hearing loss. Its important to understand that they can make your H and T seem 3x worse than they actually are. You are heightening your senses being anxious and focusing on these problems, which tells the brain "Hey give all your attention to this.". That is why I find it important to move on with ones life when getting T, H and or hearing loss. Not to think about it. Even though its there. Reducing stress and anxiety helps with the habituation process as well.

Here are some tips at reducing anxiety:

• Try doing some anxiety exercises. Try distracting yourself with something like music (try soothing music like piano or Spanish Guitar).
      • Take a walk. It always helps me clear my head.
      • Realize that everything around you isn't going to damage you more.
      • Accepting the fact you have these problems. Yeah, you got T, H and hearing loss but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the love and glory life has to offer.
      • Continue with your daily life but keep your mind off T, H or the hearing loss.
      • Keep giving yourself optimistic thoughts. Try NOT to keep a mindset like "Everything is going to get worse or never get better.". That's a bunch of Hogwash.
      Its strange to think that Tinnitus, Hyperacusis or hearing loss can give you good things. But look at it this way. Luckily, these problems can't kill you. That you won't end up terminally ill because of them. Once this whole stage of anxiety is over with, you will begin to see that you have become a much stronger person than ever before.

Acceptance is very important. Its important to not beat yourself up from what you or maybe someone else has done to your ears. Its done, its over with. Its important to move on to bigger and better things. Not to dwell on ones mistakes.

:ROFL::wacky::puppykisses::beeranimation::rockingbanana:

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The description below doesn't meet your definition of acoustic trauma?
      The sonic toothbrush was in contact with the opening of my ear canal for a fraction of a second. That was My acoustic trauma that resulted in T that I have been struggling with for over 10 months now...

12. Codaz

Codaz Member

Which treatment are you aiming for?

13. Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tinnitus Retaining Therapy. It can be used for Hyperacusis too. But I don't think I'll need it. Idk

14. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The above makes a distinction between problems caused by ONE instance of a loud noise and problems caused by long term exposure to a loud noise. Using this definition, if someone gets T or a permanent or temporary spike as a result of a one-time exposure to noise, their problem is a result of an acoustic trauma.

16. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      And where do you see the distinction in the definition? The medical definitions imply that an acoustic trauma is due to a one time exposure, that can be one second or several hours, depending on the level of noise. Progressive damage over time is something else.

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you in agreement with me? If someone is having problems after a one-time problem - it is an acoustic trauma. So this person is suffering from an acoustic trauma.

That burning sensation is very troubling.
      Another person who had this symptom was
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-made-your-tinnitus-louder.20275/#post-235237
      He ended up with a permanent spike, that took two months to develop
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-made-your-tinnitus-louder.20275/#post-234238
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-made-your-tinnitus-louder.20275/#post-235268
      He also experienced more shocks in the two months that followed. Try to get prednisone, and try to protect your ears for the next two months.

18. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      If "having problems" includes sudden hearing loss and "one time problem" means exposure to extremely loud noise or blow to the head, yes...

That just confirms what i thought, we dont have the same definition.. even the medical definitions are contradictory anyway.. cant blame anyone.

19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't have hearing loss, but a one time incident caused T that has lasted for over 10 months. Are you saying that it is wrong for me to place "acoustic trauma" as reason for my T? If that's the case, what term Should I be using?
      If I say "noise-induced" doctors will interpret it as me getting T as a result of a long term exposure to noise.

20. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Didnt experience hearing loss at all? Even temporary for a few seconds?

21. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      @Jack Barnes im facing the same ordeal but 3 in about 2 months. I had just recovered from the last one and my H and T reactiveness had settled by themselves mostly.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Barnes

Jack Barnes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Taylorslay Firstly just wanna say thank you so much for all the advice. I appreciate it so much.

About my hyperacusis, in the beginning it used to be so awful I would describe it as "unlivable". It's gotten alot better over time but I still can't talk to people for more than 15 minutes without it becoming uncomfortably loud, and trips to the mall/walmart SUCK. I've been doing my best to avoid sound as much as I can, but I'll heed your advice to expose myself to more sound. I'm willing to try anything.

In my case my ears have been in a cycle of filling up and draining into my throat every day since around October 30th(which was a week after the initial trauma). I think I could possibly have an infection that's contributing to this, but I'll save the details until I'm able to comprehensively write everything out in a new thread sometime soon.

And yeah, anxiety has been a huge killer for me I totally agree.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this out for me. Not gonna lie it made me tear up lol.

23. Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aww anytime :) I understand how problematic these can be to someone.

When exposing yourself to sound, play something soothing, that won't irritate you at a specific volume. It took me a while to get where I am now with my Hyperacusis. But I got there and that's what's important.

Idk what that draining is. If it's draining into your throat it may be an ear infection. But I'm not a doctor and nor do I know much about that. So I'd suggest going to a doctor's to get their input. But I think even if something is wrong it'll be okay in the end :).

24. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Maybe he should have gotten an audiogram done in the seconds following his acoustic trauma.

25. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hilarious. When I experienced a trauma I clearly noticed temporary hearing loss. Maybe he did too, just asking.

26. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      @Julien87 maybe he did but on frequencies that aren’t that noticeable.
      My most recent trauma it took me half a day to notice that some low end was missing. All I initially noticed was my hearing felt imbalanced with a hum/whoosh sound, but I thought it was just swelling.
      It’s since come back thankfully.
      Previous trauma my high end did the same but was a little more noticeable. Also came back.

27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      All I noticed was ear fullness...

28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since: