3 Success Stories and 1 Habituation Story I've Heard

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by magiccat, Apr 3, 2019.

1. magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      I am currently struggling with noise induced tinnitus but here are 4 success stories I have heard recently (seems to me a lot more people than I though have or have had tinnitus!)

A relative of mine had it for 3 weeks after a concert when she was young, it faded away to zero and never came back.

Another relative of mine had sudden hearing loss and did not hear anything at all for 6 years, but he had a strong will, fought on and 6 years later he started to hear again. He is also an old man so I'm sure ears can heal at any age.

My hairdresser had it for 2 months after a concert, faded away to zero as well.

A habituation story: My friend got tinnitus when he was young by playing in a band without protection for many years and still got it. He still plays in bands and party as normal, and yet his tinnitus has never increased since onset 10+ years ago.

• Like Like x 9
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for sharing @magiccat. That's crazy that your relatives hearing came back after 6 years! Did he ever find out why he lost it?

3. Vaclav
      Lurking

Vaclav Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Yesterday my mom told me about her friend, who completely silenced her tinnitus after one year, so it´s possible to heal even after 6 months!

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      thats great! Was hers noise induced?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      Yes, I remember it being such an amazing thing for him. I haven't talked to him since I got tinnitus myself and back then I didn't ask so much questions since i wasn't as into the subject as now haha. Its on my stepfathers side so we're not super close but I will ask him when I get the chance!

• Like Like x 1
    6. Vaclav
      Lurking

Vaclav Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      No, she had some problems with her neck. After she started excercising her tinnitus started to dimish.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Exercising or doing neck exercises?

8. Vaclav
      Lurking

Vaclav Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Neck excercises

9. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      How bad was her neck pain?

10. Yugal Rai
      Dreaming

Yugal Rai Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for sharing!! This gives some hope. @magiccat how did your tinnitus start? And how long has it been?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      I was exposed to a lot of noise during a short period of time! I have a history of going to concerts and so but it was after a loud siren going of near my head that i noticed it. Its been a little more than 7 months, but I am handling it a lot better now. It was hell at first and even though i am still struggling things have gotten much better. I see yours is very new? I am sure yours will get a lot better, a couple of weeks is nothing in terms of tinnitus!

12. Yugal Rai
      Dreaming

Yugal Rai Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @magiccat thank you, hope it gets better. Yes, mine is very new, 13 days with it and I’m not used to dealing with this change of my body. Therefore a little anxiety and depression kicks in sometime. Praying it gets better soon.

When you said you are feeling much better. Did you mean that your body is getting used to the tinnitus or the ringing itself is getting calmer and quieter?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      I totally understand what you are going through. I have never struggled before with depression and panic/anxiety attacks but this has been the hardest thing I have ever gone through. It is natural to feel anxiety and depression and important to allow yourself to, but also keep in mind, that it almost always gets better for tinnitus sufferers, it just takes a long time.

It is an impossible question, since improvement has been so slow. I have many noises and some has actually disappeared but the most annoying/loud one is still there. I would say the biggest change has been my body naturally getting more used to the noise. But, from having researched it (a loot) during these last 7 months, it seems like statistically most tinnitus-cases gets better, we all just heal at different times. My friends mum who is a psychologist said tinnitus patients often feels better 1-2 years in (or earlier) and that the tinnitus noise tends to "plane-out" with time. She also said the louder the tinnitus, the more time it takes for it to plane out. My audionom said the same thing and my doctor said (don't ever thrust anyone telling you you will have this forever, because nobody knows). I still have hope for mine to improve, and if it hasn't at 2-3 year mark I will have gotten used to it hopefully! :)

I really hope yours get better and I am sure it will! Be strong!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      I just read your story btw and I saw you think headphones are the source of yours. I think it is possibly that your ears are telling you "enough" with the headphones for a while. I think the best thing for you is to skip them for now and give your ears some time to rest! Try to listen to music on the computer or something else that isn't so close to your ears or in-ears!

15. Vaclav
      Lurking

Vaclav Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I don't know if she had some neck pain. Only thing I know is that she visited some doctor and he told her that a lot of people have tinnitus, because of problems with their neck.

16. Racehorse

Racehorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic
      Yeah, another success story of a friend’s mother’s neighbor’s nephew.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      Well obviously. If it had been, lets say, my best friend getting tinnitus earlier I would not have been in this mess from the beginning. Then I would have been frikking warned!

18. Racehorse

Racehorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic
      That’s not what I meant... forget it. Lol

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      magiccat

magiccat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice Induced
      Well, I know all of these people so its not that far.