35 Years Old — I'm Starting to Feel Like an Old Man

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Don Tinny, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Well... that's the point. I know that loud intrusive tinnitus is probably a big influence here, and maybe some hormonal imbalance, but I am starting to think that I am getting old.

When I was 20 years old I took some Sipalki-Do (old Korean martial art) classes during 6 months or so. Now I was thinking about taking some martial arts or contact sports to help distract me, even with loud tinnitus (despite fearing a slap in my ears). But some videos I found, most people earning a black belt were in their twenties and classes were full of kids. The essential feeling is "I am done". It's too late to start something and reach a good level.

Just wanted to share my depressive thoughts.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      Never too late I think. 35 is no age at all. Do it, your mind will thank you for it. I play tag rugby & basketball socially, nothing serious. And I'm the oldest (I'm 39). That's along with playing in a band, being a husband and father of 3 kids. If you think getting back into martial arts will help you then I think there's an obvious answer.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. LongWait

LongWait Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      Yeah I'm 50 with the this, I feel I'm done, it's never really got much easier although I'm less emotional, but internally destroyed.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Don Tinny -- You may want to consider the story of Grandma Moses... It's never too late in life to start something anew that can give a person an enormous amount of satisfaction and fulfillment. The possibilities are literally endless...

Grandma Moses Day: Why She Started Painting at Age 76 | Time

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It might not be your cup of tea, but I still think you should read this and be in awe.

https://www.runnersworld.com/runner...mo-morales-mexican-immigrant-marathon-runner/

Especially in endurance sports, 35 years is considered your prime.

Marco Olmo is another great example, not just competing, but winning the UTMB at 59 years of age.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nice story. But at my age I can only think about my own goals, not to be really good doing something. I was reading about age and sports / MA and they say something like "It's never too late. Just be careful because injuries can take longer to heal. Choose styles that don't require much flexibility. And keep in mind that your speed is no longer the same." And I think "Hey, I was young yesterday. What Happened?"

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the support. Maybe I'm afraid to look ridiculous. You know...a heavy weight 35 years old man throwing slow kicks.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music was my main hobbie and passion. But my tinnitus is severe, and it´s not an option anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      How severe is yours out of curiosity? Can you play music through speakers at low volume?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well...I usually hear it all the time, except when I am taking a shower. I can listen to music but it does not mask my ringing. There is some fluctuations and I can reach 1 to 2 moderate days per week (maskable).

11. Dhaych

Dhaych Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - musician
      Yeah I'm the same, hear it above most things including driving, watching television etc. Shower is also the only thing that masks it... and playing with the band, except between songs due to the moulded ear plugs so I can hear just my brain noise in that few secs until the next song kicks in.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      That's mostly in your head. Every true athlete will respect the work you're putting in, no matter how recent you've started and no matter how long the road to your goals.
      If you're into martial arts I guess there's also the collective part that makes you more accountable and make you show up as opposed to some individual pastime.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I'm 32 and it feels different comparing to 20 for sure. :LOL:

14. TomBradyGOAT

TomBradyGOAT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows
      30 and I hit a brick wall. OCD got much worse. Pains. Endless doctors appointments that solve nothing. I am turning 39 in November. I hear 40's are the best. So here is to being optimistic.

15. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      24 but my pain issues make me feel like I'm in my 70s lol.

Here's to hoping any of the upcoming meds give us some relief so I can live to that age.

16. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Oh how I wish to be 24 once again. I would've changed so many hings in my life. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. ASilverLight
      In pain

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lol, feel free to take my broken 24-year-old body, you can have it for free :p I wouldn't mind living as a spirit and just doing chores at night for my family to let em know I'm still there :ROFL:

In all seriousness I just want to go back to Dec 1, 2019. Would do some things differently that month and all would be well right now.

• Funny Funny x 1
    18. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      In my case it would be Oct 23, 2019. I had a weird feeling that I shouldn't have gone to that rehearsal...

• Hug Hug x 2
    19. ASilverLight
      In pain

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I basically went through a super busy year last year, and I was reaching my breaking point in December. Then I made two bad falls at work in December giving me whiplash (after pre-existing bad posture) which I didn't realise was whiplash until months later - by that time tinnitus had developed. Ironically I'd just decided to take a week off to recharge, and on about my first day off, tinnitus hit.

I felt like I was reaching a point of no return, and I guess that became true. Still don't really know what caused my tinnitus, but it's very likely just a sum of minor things resulting in chronic tinnitus. I'm just deeply saddened that at 24 I'm dealing with this after everything else; life really hasn't been good to me and just when it was looking up just a little disaster strikes again. That's just my life :rolleyes:

• Hug Hug x 2
    20. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      20 here and given up on expecting to have a normal life. Tbh I've been reading fiction lately. I find it surprisingly enjoyable. Maybe you can find some comfort in reading too. You can still do a lot at 35. If you say you won't do anything anymore, then think how many years of nothing you would set yourself up to. Can you really spend that much time doing nothing? Sport is good at any age, anyway.

To rant a bit about my tinnitus now, I just wish I didn't listen to music and games so damn loudly!

Wish I were poor and couldn't afford headphones and a good PC...

21. morgothaod

morgothaod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      You are your thoughts. So, what you have/don't have in life and what other people say about you mean nothing unless you assign them meaning. Basically, instead of thinking "I'm too old to do karate" you should replace it with a more realistic thought "I am never too old to learn anything. There are people who are retired and much older than me taking up new activities." or "There is nothing wrong with wanting to experience something new!"

Also taking action leads to motivation. You shouldn't wait around in hopes of feeling motivated to do something.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    22. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I'm sure you will get through this and become a stronger person. :puppykisses:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      I'm 72 and my tinnitus is 3 years old. I still work in my wood shop running tools and keeping busy. One thing for certain, negative thoughts bring negative emotions. You ain't old.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1