5 Year Update: Recently More Bad Tinnitus Days Than Good

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paul Burdett, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Paul Burdett

Paul Burdett Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hi all,

5 years and 2 months in with tinnitus, so I thought I'd post how I'm doing, and ask a question as well. When I first got tinnitus I went through the usual panic, frustration, etc that we all go through. I must admit that I still don't think I'll ever accept this horrible affliction, but over the years I've learned to cope. Actually I count myself lucky in that I do get days where it is virtually nothing... mainly after a hot shower in the morning (it is always loud when I wake up). I'm quite "happy" in having maybe 2 loud days a week, and 2 noiseless days, and a couple of low volume days... that's how it has been for me over the years. There was one period where I had pretty well 8 noiseless days in a row (still loud after waking up though).

My question relates to how my tinnitus has been the past few weeks... basically more loud days in a row and few good days. Is this what a "spike" is? I read that a spike might include new sounds (which I don't have), louder sounds (my loud days are the same volume wise), but I'm unsure why this is going on with me now. I've tried to think if it relates to my diet... but there is no change to that. It doesn't appear that what I eat affects my tinnitus one way or the other, although I used to think that sugar was a trigger (I can eat lollies and the next day can be noisy or quiet...the same goes for the occasional beer). So... I was hoping that my current increase in "bad" days is just a spike, and things will go back to "normal". I'd appreciate some thoughts from those here that have gone through a similar situation.

Let's hope that the pill that Arizona scientists are working on becomes a tinnitus treatment sooner than later.

Cheers. Paul

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Paul,
      If you become a 'student' of the forum as are many of us are here, all your questions will be answered. There are no answers to your questions other than, spikes for most tend to temporary but can last for days. Nobody knows why. It has been studied ad nauseum. Stress is the biggest trigger which affects sleep patterns, but others may not believe this to be so for them.

Best coping mechanism is faith and attitude which is pretty much reflected in your writing. You have been ok with your tinnitus on some level. That is the best approach IMO. Being ok with the noisy neighbor that may drive some batty.

Being a student of the forum btw doesn't suit everybody. I am in and out of the forum as I look for causation as are many here. Sometimes reading acute cases of tinnitus is hard to read. Few answers, many questions.

Variation and spikes are the like the mystery of the universe. If tinnitus can be low and virtually undetectable and noise suppression working within the brain as the great design...as it should, why can't this occur all the time?...or why can't scientists figure this out to recreate it chemically with a med? So far unanswered.

It will be solved 'on some scale' at some point. Without question. But a vexing issue of course. If looking for an analogy, probably little different than an auto immune flare up people can't figure out the answer to either. Why people's arthritis hurts like hell some days and other days they feel normal.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul Burdett

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hi John,
      Thank you for the reply/thoughts. You say I'm ok with tinnitus on some level... I guess I have to be...but it does "drive me batty" on the loud days. I'd like to get to the point that I don't think about it, but it's impossible when it's blaring away. Take care.
      P

4. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      We are in precisely the same boat. I have had tinnitus for 3 years.
      I would say your and my tinnitus...how we have it may in fact exceed 50% of those that are on the forum.
      We come to the forum looking for some kind of strategy. Others with less noticeable tinnitus don't need to come to the forum because they are less bothered. And then, there are extreme cases. Perhaps you and I feel we are extreme at times. At rare times, my tinnitus is extremely difficult to deal with it is so loud.

Yes, we have no choice but to accept on some level. A test of will all said. Life trumps tinnitus and we want to live.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul Burdett

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Well said...and very true.
      Take care.
      P

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Joe P. Tamborra
      Inspired

Joe P. Tamborra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic neuroma tumor
      Hey Paul, I have had intermittent tinnitus over seven years now. And i have had many good days, and many bad days over that time frame. I have tracked my tinnitus over the last five years or so, and it seems that 2/3 of the time it no longer bothers me much; and 1/3 of the time I am still challenged. The ear that i hear the tinnitus in was made deaf through a surgery to remove an acoustic neuroma tumor about six years ago. So with that being said, there is no way to mask the tinnitus. Through the years when I struggle to cope and bear up under the struggle i have learned that God's grace is sufficient! Time and time again, as I call out to the Lord in prayer, He remains faithful; to be a very present help in time of need! Blessing to you; and I hope this true testimony gives you hope!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul Burdett

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hi Joe. Thank you for replying to me. I'm sorry that you had to go through surgery resulting in tinnitus, but glad you feel some comfort from your faith. I've never been a religious person, so I don't have the faith that you do. I do however try to be a good person in my dealings with others. Wishing you only the best, and yes, there is always hope that we might be cured of this affliction one day.

• Like Like x 1