6 Weeks In... Is This Typical? Or Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chris M, May 14, 2018.

1. Chris M
      Bashful

Chris M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hello forum!

I had a question, what is the difference between hyperacusis and just being able to notice more higher frequency noises.

In my situation, I have a static tinnitus for going on 6 weeks now. It seems to be slowly getting better on some days and then I lose all hope when it gets loud. The up and down impacts my mood. I feel like it’s healing and then I feel like it comes right back.

While I’m a louder restaurant today, I was noticing almost all noises that most people would ignore ie. Someone’s fork, someone’s brackets, door hinges opening and closing. I didn’t have any pain or anything like that in my ears. Or maybe I am just noticing sounds a little bit more?

My tinnitus is higher frequency as well; I don’t know if that has an impact on the heightened sounds? Or is this hyperacusis?

2. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It could be a number of things, depending on whether you have any pain sensations when you perceive the sound. I think that Hyperacusis generally involves a lowering of the comfortability threshold across the board and not just regarding certain sounds and will leave you with actual physical discomfort (sometimes even after the sound has come and gone - sort of like a burning sensation - it may even reverberate throughout your entire head).

Misophonia could also induce a feeling of uncomfortability, but only with regard to certain sounds or frequencies. This counts as double when you also have ear 'fluttering'. If the Tensor Tympani muscles is overactive, it may lead to a wide variety of symptoms.

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. From my experience, myself having an ultra high pitch T too, it is quite common to have hyperacusis following the occurrence of a high pitched T. But don't be too distressed by it. This form of T often fades over time. Mine was gone within the year it started. It was surely a scary time with both high pitched T and severe H. But the H element tends to fade for many people. So be positive that you will be like that too. God bless your recovery.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris M
      Bashful

Chris M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thanks @billie48
      Did you find this tinnitus to change daily? Sometimes I’ll have static throughout the day in my head. Then, like right now, it’s like a hissing noise in my head. When I close my ears, it’s a high pitch constant eeeee noise in both ears, same volume and tone. It seems bilateral It’s odd. I have it for going on 6 weeks now. It’s not like a loud ring or anything like that. It’s the head hissing that’s annoying the crap out of me throughout the day.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Don't be too alarmed by your T and its changing symptoms. It is quite common for new T to morph into many varying symptoms, such as changing volume, tones, jumping to another ear if it wasn't bilateral before, developing multi tones, some with clicking or morse code like beeping etc. Some will start to have ear fullness or pain. Some will, like you and me, develop sensitivity to normal sounds which we call hyperacusis. That is why new T gives so much fear and anxiety to a new sufferer. Its is what it is. Tinnitus is intrusive to some for a reason. New T will take some time to settle. It is best to remain calm and positive that given some time, things will improve. Some say it will take 6 to 18 months. It took me 3 years due to my prior condition of anxiety and panic disorder. Hope your condition will improve. Good luck. God bless.