A Couple of Months Ago I Started Hearing a Strange Noise in My Right Ear

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Maryanne, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Maryanne

Maryanne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I'm Maryanne, 70 years old. The sound in my ear I can best describe as a distant metal pole with a chain hanging on it. Every once in a while that chain tinks against the pole. I already had a whooshing sound in my left ear that pulsates with my heartbeat. Now the last couple of weeks, on top of the other sounds I am hearing a CONSTANT noise like the solid sound of crickets on a spring night. I have done research on it and apparently there's nothing really to be done about it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      That description sounds like what I had following an acoustic shockwave trauma, which was like a wind chime tinkling away.

Some people here report having tinnitus so severe, that they reckon sounds like a jet engine roaring in their heads. How they ended up with that, I have no idea. But yours seems mild compared to theirs.

3. JoeC100

JoeC100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi Maryanne,

I am 39 years old and experience some changing sounds myself. Typically I have an even tone of ringing in my right ear, while my left ear rings, sounds like chirping (crickets...), and a pikes to high intensity. Extremely varying. It sounds like you’re handling it well, which is a sign that you are a strong person. I tend to stay away from researching “cures” or “fixes”, as I feel like once you get T it’s here to stay. Either way, I think you have a good handle on what’s happening to you.

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Otosclerosis seems to be one way to do it. I'm sure there are more.

5. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      Yeah, I often forget about degenerative diseases. I keep thinking every one of these poor buggers had some kind of industrial accident that led to their ear screaming like a steam kettle forever.