A Friend Has Invited Me to a Bar for a Boxing Match

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lazypugfilms, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Lazypugfilms

Lazypugfilms Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I used to do it with no fears. I don't let my T stopped me from doing most things. I still go to bars (though I try to avoid loud ones). I haven't gone to the movies in forever and maybe a fear with that is T, but I do almost everything exactly the same. I wouldn't dream of ever going to a concert or a live event again but I haven't been to one in years anyways.

So anyways my friend loves boxing and I enjoy it too. We would watch the big fights at a bar. But now I'm afraid of going. It's not just that it is loud it's also a time thing. I'll be there for at least 3 hours.

I guess I'll end up saying no but I do feel bad because it was something me and my friend had. We are drifting a part and I know as soon as I text back "no I can't" it might be the end of this one friendship. I've had T for a little while now and I've gotten used to it but times like this I'm remind how tough it is and will always be

2. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      So you have Tsince 1.5 months? How loud would you rate yours? Why dont you wear -32db foam earplugs? Do you think that even those are not going to be enough?

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I think it will do you the word of good to go but make sure you use really good noise reduction plugs .
      Life with tinnitus can be tough but getting lots of laughs in your life is so important and I know how exciting it can be to be with friends having fun.
      You will be the safest person their wearing plugs and all the others who won't be ....
      I go football matches and wear my trusty earplugs when I go and go on ok ....See what other replies you get and the decision is yours.....lots of love glynis

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lazypugfilms

Lazypugfilms Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Idk it's weird but I would rate it a 5 when I first got it but now it's anywhere between a 2-4. And after flying in a loud plane with no plugs it didn't spike, but I've been very safe. Some would say too safe but I wanna protect my ears for the long run.

My family has a history of this. My father had hearing loss, and so did my grandfather apparently. My little brother has it too. Nobody in my family went deaf but we have lost some hearing issues in our left ears (which I find bizarre)

I guess part of me feels I shouldn't worry because my dad had tinnitus since he was 12 and never worried about protecting his ears.

Yeah I guess ear plugs would be the safest bet. The last time I went to the movies I wore a -20db ear plugs and they were great. I also have a -26db pair. I have anxiety about everything though. I'm afraid of protecting my ears too much (when maybe I shouldn't). And becoming sound sensitive. I guess I do still have a lot of fears. I'm only 23 and I wanna be able to hear when I'm 46, 69, etc

5. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      I feel you. I am also 20. and I am also very anxious about sounds and making it worse.
      this weekend a very good friend of mine is throwing a party and also a lot of other good friends are coming. I would love to go, but its a party in a flat and I know that they are going to turn up the volume, so I dont know...even with my 32 db plugs im not sure and I will be super anxious all the time :(

6. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Go and use good noise reducing earplugs, I do it everytime I go out with my wife and friends to a bar.

Some are afraid that they are not going to be able to understand conversation, but in fact, earplugs let you hear better in noise places like bars. If the music is loud, you dont hear the music loud, and at the same time you can hear the conversation in the next table, something can't do your friends that are not using earplugs.