A List of Places Where You Could Be Exposed to Loud Noises. Places to Watch Out for.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill Bauer, Nov 1, 2017.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I DO care about my well being - I am not going to be apologetic about that.
      The fact that I am not willing to have a child does not imply the conclusion above.

The reality is that I am empathetic. It is my weakness.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      If that makes you happy then there’s nothing wrong with it. But on a wider scale I don’t think it’s good advice for the majority of people. You run the risk of making H worse, if you have it, or generally making your ears more sensitive. It’s known that the brain turns up the auditory gain when our hearing is compromised. Once you take the plugs out it is more likely that you will jump at moderate noises because they will seem a lot louder.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      When I adopted the policy of wearing an earplug in my bad ear whenever I was outside of my home, I had a moderate case of H. I was disturbed by things like the sound of a microwave oven.

After I began to protect my ears, my H got better, and eventually it was gone. I watched videos at moderate volume so it is not like my ears were deprived of sound.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      “Our survival instinct is strong when we have been injured. In the case of hyperacusis everything inside of us tells us to isolate ourselves from noise. All clinicians would discourage you from doing that. I know that when I first came down with severe hyperacusis, at the end of the work day my ears were so worn out being in the company of people that I could not even tolerate the sound of my children whispering. At that point I was hearing at minus decibel levels. Yes, my ears did need a rest but only for a short time before I needed to embark on the proper treatment. You need a qualified clinician. They will rule out any physical problems which could have made your ears more sensitive. They will, ever so gently, test your sound tolerances to determine the degree of your sensitivity. They will explain what has happened to your ears. After all, we all want to know what really happened here! They will prescribe a sound therapy for you that is ever so gentle. It will not only improve your tolerances to sound but make your ears less vulnerable to any setbacks.”

http://www.hyperacusis.net/what-to-do/questions-and-answers/

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    6. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I’m with you Bill on this.
      Ear plugs at least at the ready, in supermarkets.
      When employees move metal cages at a speed, the noise can be deafening to those with serious cochlea damage.
      My guess would be that Ed209’s Tinnitus problem is nowhere near to Bill’s.
      Guesswork of course, but both guys are clearly sane, so the difference is in the intensity.

7. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I have multiple sounds, that are loud enough to be heard over pretty much all background noise all day long. I have a piercing dentist drill high frequency, a lower pitched drone, and constant hissing underneath it all. I also get electrical like zapping around my head from time to time. It is generally a cocophany of noise. It drove me to the darkest of places that only one other condition managed to take me to. I improved after a long time trying to fight against it. This included stressing about all sorts of sounds and avoiding going out.

I only continued posting here to share my positive experience of overcoming the torture of it (by learning to ignore it), and to try and help others. Success stories are much harder to come by because people tend not to post them. But, negative stories (as with anything in life) are everywhere.

I’m just trying to help people avoid the slippery slope into phonophobia and isolation, because I’ve also been there and it’s horrible. Having to think about everything all the time; the hyper-vigilance and over analysis of every sound becomes exhausting.

People are going to hear a door slam, freak out because they’ve heard it’s bad on here, which in turn will invoke a CNS response sending adrenaline and cortisone all over their body. It’s no way to live, and it’s certainly not how you take control of your life again with tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 4
    8. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      I wanted to pm you about this but the option seems to be unavailable.
      Either way, thanks for giving your opinion, and I agree about the overprotecting, it's gotten me where I am today..

9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I know Jurgen, it’s horrible isn’t it? I turned into an anxious mess.

Not sure why my PM isn’t working; I haven’t deactivated anything. I wondered why I wasn’t getting replies. Cheers for the heads up.

See if my PM works now.

10. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I also agree with this as well.

Hard to know if it has been beneficial or detrimental on a tinnitus front - but lifestyle wise it has been the wrong choice. Made me scared of anything and everything and a complete anxious mess. Scared to be around kettles and microwaves and hoovers and other people TVs, etc. It is no way to live.

I’m reticent to say it is worse than having bad tinnitus, as I am still not sure that it is, but it is hell!

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thank you for coming back @Ed209,
      and thank you for correcting my assumptions by the way.
      I am extremely interested in the fact that your improvement has been a result of your psychological adjustment.
      Short of a ‘cure’ or a drug, this is really the arena where we win or lose.
      I can tell you now that I am well on my way.

Nobody, other than my very perceptive misus, ever suggested to me that the way to devise the right psychology, was in fact to expect hiss, to expect noise, to defuse the whole terrible dilemma by expecting it (accepting it) and consequently failing to be de-railed by it!

I am a pro traditional jazz trombonist, (since 1962) and still ‘at it’.
      I do earplug my damaged left ear (facing the band) but leave the right ear open.
      Jazz, being a spontaneous music, I need to hear the other instruments to respond well.
      It’s working for me.

Incidentally, I spent last evening walking around London’s Charing Cross Road, and my only ‘fingers in ears’ moments coincided with Police and Ambulance alarms, the noise of which is bloody criminal, and over the top IMHO.
      Thanks for your reply and for being an encouragement to everybody.

Jazzer x

• Like Like x 1
    12. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I am also a musician, and it is how I acquired my tinnitus. Incidentally, it made me quit my band and I have only done two proper gigs since having it. Both with musicians earplugs. Quitting the band was one of the hardest things I ever did, and I’m hoping to one day get back into live music. We had a sax player in the band, and I know how loud a brass section can be in trad jazz band.

Music is part of my soul so it’s one of the worst things that could have happened to me really. Coupled with my personality type it kind of tore my life into shreds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’ve been going back and forth to London for a different issue with my chest, so I know exactly what you’re talking about. London isn’t the quietest of places, but I find I get on ok nowadays when out and about. If you go back in time I’d be a total mess going anywhere; I just feared anywhere where there might be any kind of sound/noise. In my case, and I suspect most people’s (whether they know it or not), having this anxiety hanging around your neck doesn’t help at all. You need to accept your situation and move forward with your life. Protect when you’re around genuinely loud noise, but don’t over-protect.

I hope your recovery goes well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hi Ed, just wondering where you draw the line? It is that balancing act and choosing not to protect that causes so much anxiety.

Just interested into where the line is drawn for you between overprotection and valid protection

15. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I just know from experience when I’m in an environment that’s too loud, and that’s when I put my ear plugs in. If it gets ridiculously loud I just leave.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Valid hearing protection in my opinion is only necessary in surroundings where sound levels are likely to be overly loud. This is: nightclubs, concerts and perhaps the cinema. Some restaurants they may be applicable but I don't think absolutely necessary. Their use is advisable when using power tools and noisy garden equipment. I want to make a few things clear. I agree with everything Ed209 has said regarding the overuse of hearing protection. Speaking as someone that has had many years experience with tinnitus and once had very severe hyperacusis, that has been cured for 18 years, I believe what I'm saying is true.

The overuse of earplugs and earmuffs are not necessary with hyperacusis and often makes the condition worse over time. Not only does it promote fear and anxiety. Phonophobia and misophonia become a real possibility as I've already mentioned on this thread.Whilst members have good intentions, their advice on the use of hearing protection as a prerequisite for every little raised sound in one's vicinity is not necessary and will evoke situations as I've mentioned above. If a person's auditory system is hypersensitive to sound and this isn't improving over time naturally, then a person should seek medical help. Not necessarily with an ENT doctor as these health professionals are not tinnitus and hyperacusis experts or skilled in this field.

ENT doctors are physicians and know about the anatomy of the ear. They can treat it medically or surgically and the majority of them do this well. When there is no underlying medical problem causing the tinnitus and hyperacusis, the right health professionals to see are: Hearing Therapists or Audiologists, that are trained in the treatment and management of tinnitus and hyperacusis. Various treatments are usually available. Sound therapy (desensitization) of the auditory system and counselling. Medication may help too.

It is treatment that is required to help desensitize the auditory system so it becomes less sensitive to sound not the overuse of hearing protection which often makes the condition worse and often causes other problems.

Michael

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My phonobia has reached levels that I wish I never had, and my H followed. A lot of things feel too loud now, where they were ok 6 months ago. Any tips to deal with this? So I just leave the plugs more aside even when I feel it's too loud for my H?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      can totally relate to this. in the same boat. normal life feels and sounds too loud for me now!

19. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      With respect @JurgenG I did warn you about the overuse of hearing protection many months ago. Your situation can be reversed so try not to worry too much. Please follow some of the advice in my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it. If you can get professional help that would be helpful too. To others reading this thread and have sensitivity problems with your auditory system.

Please do not use earplugs too often as they can do more harm than good. Please click on the links below that you might find helpful.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-complexities-of-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis.25733/

• Like Like x 1
    20. JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am getting genuine TRT in two months to deal with this. And indeed you did, but my fear was too strong.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand the fear and anxiety that you felt @JurgenG for I have been there believe me. I am going to give you another piece of advice and hope that you follow it. When you start TRT do not mention it in this forum nor in tinnitus chat. If I were you don't discuss the type of treatment you are getting here or any other forum.

Best of luck
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is way beyond narcissistic. This is sociopathic/physcopathic at its finest. I guarantee you if there was a group of people standing in his way of a possible cure he wouldnt hesitate to step on the pedal and run them all over.

What he is doing is basically bombarding this forum with the same old fear mongering tactics and feeding off the insecurity of new members when they are their most vulnerable phase. Arguing over this is his life. Look at his message count over a few months. Of course not all his messages are negative, which also makes it hard for new members to tell whats real or not

Sorry to break it to you @Bill Bauer but regardless of how much you protect your ears. The T isnt going anywhere. Thats because its a neurological condition. Just look at how many people with perfect hearing test that still have T.

Also good luck hiding from every door slam, every barking dog, every dropped plate, every little accident for the rest of your life. When in the end it doesnt even matter because those things didnt kill the hair cells in your cochlea. Its your reaction and powerful emotions and stress that triggered the spikes. Your mind has convinced itself that everyday noise is harmful. You are trapped in your own prison

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      LOL You are fortunate that I am superstitious when it comes to T and don't want to jinx anything. Otherwise, I bet I would be able to make you feel bad about your past behavior.

That would, of course, depend on the severity of the resulting jail sentence, and the likelihood that the cure actually works.

This has to do with my lack of desire to work on a certain project that I am supposed to be working on. I have been contributing to this forum as a way to procrastinate.
      My personal experience (and that of others - it is easy to find their posts) proves otherwise. And here I am not talking about only the spikes following moderate noises. I am also talking about improvement that can be achieved when one protects one's ears.
      The hypothesis above would be consistent with spikes that are at most a couple of days long. Since some spikes last several weeks or months (and one's stress levels fluctuate during those time intervals), whereas other spikes are permanent, this hypothesis is clearly wrong.
      I am sorry you feel this way. I hope you disregard and don't learn from my mistakes (and that of many others) and attempt to prove me wrong by doing things that I would consider to be reckless.

• Like Like x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you saying that people shouldn't be informed that loud noises can cause tinnitus? That would be fear mongering too - the vast majority of concertgoers end up being ok.

In any case, it is too late to be warning us about things that can Cause T, but it is not too late to be warning T sufferers about things that can make T a lot louder or that can interfere with healing.

Your personal attacks are an attempt to shoot the messenger because you don't like the message/reality. Next time, attack this poster
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/filmmaking-podcast-talks-about-tinnitus.25711/

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I expect no less from you Bill.

That's because some of your message are dangerous and can potentially get someone killed. Taking the batteries out of smoke alarms? disabling the passenger air bag? I know in your twisted head these are acceptable but giving that advice to others and encouraging them to do the same is extremely unethical, not to mention illegal

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you think there are people out there who don't realize that by taking the batteries out of their smoke alarm they are subjecting themselves to a higher risk of dying in a fire?

In any case, I already addressed this in numerous posts. I am not going to repeat myself.

For some sets of those parameters, I can imagine a Bastille Day in Nice, France kind of a situation. ;)

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Wait, you are not happy with my posts, even after That
      has happened to you?

In any case, whatever you are doing seems to be working for you, so keep at it.

Use the following Dave Barry quote to motivate yourself:

28. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes even after my T worsened after going to a concert, I still would'nt take the batteries out of my fire alarm or disable my air bags. See unlike you Bill, I have loved ones in my life, and i would never endanger their lives on purpose out of paranoia of T.

Also going to a 110db concert for 6 hours is completely different than slammed door, dropped plates and fire alarms

29. Joe4
      Busy

Joe4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Now I am aware people are making valid points but this thread is comedy gold. “Install dead ones (batteries)” is a personal highlight. Everyone on here has the right to be cautious around loud noise, but it can be taken too far. In college we had a fire drill, approx 125db for a minute before I got outside. No spike at all, didn’t even protect my ears and I’m fine. Peltor’s in a supermarket? Where do you shop, in a war zone? I know you’re worried but that is laughable. Listen to those who have been here longer than most of us, you’ll soon realise you can relax and alleviate some of that anxiety.

• Funny Funny x 2
    30. Joe4
      Busy

Joe4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Also @Bill Bauer referencing terror attacks isn’t funny. After practically living in sports changing rooms I’ve heard my fair share of sick jokes and know there is a time and a place, that place isn’t here. Don’t stoop that low just to make a point. Disgusting. Pipe down!