A New “Resistance Movement” — Doing the Minimum, "Lying Flat"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Juan, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Apparently there is a movement in China that advocates to live more freely doing odd jobs, and taking life easier, at a slower pace. Newspapers are already talking about it, so maybe it's gathered some momentum:

The low-desire life: why people in China are rejecting high-pressure jobs in favour of ‘lying flat’

What do you think about this? Could it be beneficial for people with hyperacusis and tinnitus to take things easier, live a slower life?

I relocated from a big city to a smaller coastal town and it worked for me. I would love to hear the experiences of others.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Oabmarcus

Oabmarcus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress and years of using earbuds/headphones
      I think it is a response to the difficulty facing young Chinese people right now. Extreme competition for jobs, unaffordable apartments in big cities, the expectation to marry young and have children and buying houses, etc... I think if you live in a western democratic country, you already have the freedom to do whatever you want. China is a dictatorship and surely they will crack down on this sentiment.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I live in Spain and to me this is as much an economic dictatorship as China.

4. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      You're only allowed 2 children in China, high tech jobs are high paid but the Chinese owned companies demand overtime working hours. We've got a good friend here in Ireland from China and his opinion on China is the demand for perfection. It's a one way political system.

5. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      With double-digit unemployment, the highest in the E.U. and 300% as high as the U.S.A., I would imagine that stress from work is unknown to many in Spain.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Oh, we do stress sometimes.

I think life in the US must be pretty relaxed, as long as people are getting $4,800 USD in unemployment checks every month :ROFL:

• Like Like x 1
    7. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Sounds like China has discovered the church of the subgenius.

Everything has tradeoffs. High stress might make tinnitus worse but in return you may feel that you're achieving things in life. With tinnitus suffering you can always pin your hopes on things easing later and get through it. Same with work hard, play hard.

It's all about balance. Too much work is bad but then too much slack can be as well in its own way.

8. Oabmarcus

Oabmarcus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The CCP doesn't treat its people as people, to the Government, it's a resource, and it does whatever it needs to them. So if it helps the CCP to have fewer kids, they will mandate 1 child policy, and if it does not it will mandate 3 child policy. If CCP wants people to die en masse, they starve them (e.g., great famine 1959-162). Lying flat is a sort of counter-strategy against that since if you are lying flat, the Government can't do anything to you, it can't exploit you and skim off the riches you produce.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Now the Chinese can have 3 kids.

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      How's that different from the FED and the ECB blatant manipulation of interest rates? How's China CCP different from the economic dictatorship implemented in the US and Europe by greedy billionaires who do not pay tax?

• Winner Winner x 1
    11. Oabmarcus

Oabmarcus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The difference is that in the west you get to pick your political leaders every few years. The FED and ECB are bound by laws and are not controlled by the ruling party. China is a one-party absolute rule, so you can imagine the level of corruption there.

Plus, the FED can do whatever it needs to do with regard to interest rates, you are free to invest your capital in whatever assets you wish to safeguard your financial interests. In China, you don't. The stock market is rigged, and you can't invest in anything outside of real estate.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      You have to be kidding me, right?

De Guindos, the ECB vice-president was the single and only candidate for the job, after an Irish banker was forced to abandon the competition for that position at the ECB.
      In the US the stock market is not rigged?

The stock market is rigged everywhere.

For what I have read, there is a bubble in housing prices in the US. What do you think about that consequence of the FED's artificially low and manipulated interest rates?

13. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The rate of unemployment in the United States is six percent. The unemployment insurance is paid for by the workers themselves, through wage deductions, and is only temporarty.

In Spain, unemployment is sixteen percent - the highest in the E.U. Is this something that your country's citizens are proud of? Are you suggesting, by posting this thread, that perhaps your country's citizens should even do less work than they currently do?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Half of those people, or more, are working and at the same time earning the unemployment subsidy. The unemployment subsidy is also paid by the rest of the workers, like me, who are not happy about the situation.

We are also paying for the absurd economic policies carried out by the FED and the ECB, paying with inflation.

Members of the FED must be proud of being such cowards. With inflation over 5% they still keep the interest rates at a historical minimum.

15. Oabmarcus

Oabmarcus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You don't know what you are talking about, so please don't bother. I hate people who obviously don't know anything about US talking about US. Stick with tinnitus and Europe.

16. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you mean that the 16% who are unemployed are working off the books, and collecting benefit checks illegally?

It seems like most larger E.U. nations have a somewhat higher unemployment rate than the United States, with Spain and Greece at the worst levels of the entire E.U. Poland has very low unemployment, at 3%.

17. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      I believe you can call that Guerrilla capitalism.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I thought it was the role of central banks to contain inflation... what do you think the ECB and FED bankers will be talking about in Jackson Hole?

A - Inflation

B - Fishing
      Enlighten me about the US: is there or isn't there a bubble in housing prices in the US?

What fuelled the increase in prices that started in 2013? Low interest rates? Market manipulation by central banks?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I think that happens everywhere to some extent, and it is common in Southern Europe. BUT... maybe the definition of what earnings are compatible with unemployment is different across countries. So in Spain it could be illegal and the same practice in Greece (or for that matter in the US) could be compatible, meaning there is certain income that can be earned at the same time unemployment benefit checks are collected.