A Quick Question — Double Protection & 114 dB

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jiri, Feb 1, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Well, you've said it yourself. The 2nd time I might not have inserted the earplugs in properly meaning less attenuation so in the end I could've well been listening to over 80 dB sound blasts. You could feel the air pressure hitting you.

Then there's the Bill's rule of thumb and my 'luck'. 24 - 48 hrs was the prediction for the spike to occur. Well, I do have a spike now. I'm finished guys.

+ like Dr. Shore correctly stated, it's a cumulative damage. Each time you add to that damage it's gonna get worse.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If the sound of a stapler Could break those hairs, everyone ought to be deaf.
      Consider writing a complaint to the man's employer...
      I think one can use a similar logic to conclude that the probability of getting rid of T is high. They are not treating it as it goes away by itself in most people. Also it is impossible to treat.
      The vast majority of spikes are not permanent (but temporary spikes can take over 3 months to fade).

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      No. Their ears are healthy, yours are not. That's why.
      Ok, how's that going to help me with my fears and spike? What kind of advice is that anyway?
      I was literally told by the proper ENT, quoting: "in the first 3 days we can do miracles." Corticosteroids. Then pharmacotherapy: Vinca minor (Cavinton) or derivates of pentoxifylin (Agapurin, Trental). Less than one month: infusion therapy with Vincamin (= 20 mg) i.v. For the older patients we apply 200 - 300 mg of pentoxifylin, usually 10 infusions. Antihistamines (antagonists of H3 receptor histamine in central nervous system and atonomous nervous system) dosage is usually 72 mg/day. THEN you have a rehab of your axial myoskeletal segment.
      In chronic patients: Low level laser therapy (LLLT) and HBOT. Nootropics, Diuretics, Antibiotics (in very specific cases), again corticosteroids, local anesthetics and last but not least psychotropic drugs.

Reference: HAHN, Aleš. Otoneurologie a tinitologie. 2., doplněné vydání. Praha: Grada Publishing, 2015. ISBN 978-80-247-4345-5.

So don't freaking tell me there's nothing the ENT's can do to treat tinnitus. Trust me on this. If this procedure was followed asap after the acoustic trauma took place, chances are we wouldn't be on this forum now.

Had it not been for my local ENT who relied on his "40" yrs of experience and treating it his own specific way (which is none) I'd not have to be discussing all this here by now. If a major accident happens you go to a uni teaching hospital or another proper hospital where they now what tf to do! I was foolish not to do that.

No sh*t. Did you even read the rest of the posts where I quoted you... you know what, doesn't matter :)

As of now I feel like that girl who wants to end it all and don't live with her t anymore. I can't focus (which is a tad of a problem in academia - my dream job), I'm on heaps of drugs, shitty accidents keep happening to me all the time (just take the past week e.g.) no matter how hard I try and how much time I spend reserching this thing and last but not least... you run into doctors who are paid from my money and should treat you with respect and dignity, you ask them a straight question (what are my odds of it fading away given that I provided you with every possible detail, or what are at least the stats of people in general recovering or not recovering in THIS country) give me some FACTS. It's virtually like asking: "Do you want Coke or Fanta?" and the answer is "Yes". Then that fabulous door slamming avaraging at 115 dB 8 f* times. Wonderful.

I know how I sound so you don't need to tell me that I need to take a chill pill cause I'm taking 8 of them daily anyway and with no effect.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It will increase the chance that he won't make another patient worse in the future by his complete disregard for their well being. Of course if you don't have the energy to do that, then forget about it.
      In my case, my T began on day 11 after the acoustic trauma. I saw an ENT within 3 days of the onset of T. I wonder whether it was too late by that point. In any case, he hasn't attempted to do anything.
      I read all of your messages. I responded to something you wrote that sounded like you were disregarding that fact (that most spikes are temporary).

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Good joke. Even if I did that it WOULD NOT CHANGE A THING. I guarantee. Can't be that naive.
      Because he/she was a sh**** ENT. I just wrote the exact recipe what needs to be done.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If he is this way, then there will be more than one complaint about him. It is not like he is a famous doctor that the hospital would be hesitant to let go. If there are enough complaints, he will lose his job and get a job where his uncaring nature won't make as much of a difference.
      You missed the point I was trying to make. I was wondering whether one ought to count from the day of the acoustic trauma (the most likely answer) or from the day of T onset. If it is the former, then I never had a chance... If it is the latter, then the ENT I saw two days after the onset of my T had Really let me down.

7. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I am crying :( :( knowing that all of this stuff will be for the rest of my life breaks my heart.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Ok, a bit of a misunderstanding here. I was talking about the paramedic who kept slamming the doors. Not the doctor. The doctor as a matter of fact was more interested in my hobbies, yes hobbies than the actual tinnitus. He actually gave me 3 mins to come up with some hobbies. I know why he asked me that, he wanted me to do smth to shift my attention from the t... the only problem was, that I didn't have any hobbies apart from going to the gym (which I can't do now) and going to the bar and chat with friends on Fri (which I can't do now either - ironic lol). Other than that it was always uni, then my job and going home to eat and sleep. The real problem here was the paramedic and the door slamming all the time (which is why I created this thread).
      It is written from the day of T onset. So yeah, your ENT should turn in his medical postgraduate certification.

Apropos, you said your T onset was delayed by 11 days. That's a little contrary to what you stated in this thread.
      So the waiting time for the t spike can actually be extended from 11 days to two weeks now. Correct?

9. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Sorry, i can't asnwer your question unfortunatly, but in which hospital in Prague do they specialize in tinnitus? Thank you!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      • Like Like x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      So was I. A paramedic would be easier to fire than a doctor. Surely some bad incidents (that are inevitable given his attitude) + 3 to 5 official complaints from patients hurt by his attitude ought to do it. When writing a complaint, the trick is to address it to multiple recipients. This way they are more likely to act on your complaint.
      After the incident on January 22, 2017, I got ear fullness right away. So I stand by my comment that if there are No Symptoms within the first 24-48 hours, one can safely stop worrying.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Look here, the worst thing of all is that it is actually all my fault. I should have stood my ground and be more of a jackass instead of a nice person. I should have instested that he moves his stuff from the front passenger seat so that I can be seated there and thus be safe. Then we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Now I ought to face the consequences. When they say kindness is nowadays mistaken for weakness.. I can agree on that.

13. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      i was also a jackass, dumbass and made a big mistake, now i have to pay the price :( :( :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I so hope you are correct. Just came across this paper.

"Tinnitus was considered mild when noticed by patients only occasionally; moderate when constant but not disturbing; and severe or intense when disturbing, disabling, and interfering with daily chores."

"The literature reports cases of suicide in patients with tinnitus, mainly when tinnitus is associated with depression"

(Tsuneo Onishi et. al., p.13, 2004) International Tinnitus Journal, Vol. 10

https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.e...=Distortion_product_otoacoustic_emissions.pdf

• Like Like x 1