A Quick Update

Discussion in 'Support' started by threefirefour, Oct 26, 2017.

1. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Hey. I am taking a small break from the site to try to distance myself from tinnitus. I decided to give an update before I disappear back into the woodworks.

Lately I've been on a journey of self discovery (of my tinnitus). I decided to take a long break and try to listen to it in pure silence. I noticed I can modulate it by pressing areas on my neck and moving my jaw.

If I press on the back of my neck, opposite my adams aple, I can completely get rid of the high pitched hissing that I hear everywhere. If I press on the sides of my neck (sernoacloid muscle?) then I can mostly eliminate a lower pitched hissing. There's still a ringing in my right ear that gets worse with fluid in my ear, and most of the time I can reduce it by shifting my jaw to the left. I can make a position that eliminates my tinnitus by 80%, but I have to do a weird position that makes me look like I'm choking myself.

I saw a video by a professor who studies tinnitus who said this means there's a pretty good chance I can reduce my tinnitus if this is the case, so I am getting a neck massage soon to see if that helps. Also I can make my tinnitus louder by clenching my back teeth together, which according to his TMD video means there's a 50% chance I have some TMD tinnitus, so I will also be using a mouthguard to see if that helps.

Would like to completely get rid of my tinnitus but I'll settle for reduction at this point.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Best of luck to you!

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Good luck with your ears.
      Love glynis

4. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Anything you have to do to work it and make you feel better is key you are your own self advocate. Take care

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
    6. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @threefirefour If those methods mentioned helps, then massage should help. Light figure touch going up on the sternocleidomastoid muscles to the ears giving increased blood flow may help. Then I would get a PT consultation. Place yourself into the hands of a good NUCCA doctor, no pun intended. Good Luck.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Philippe79

Philippe79 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      When you say this, I think you speak for a lot of people. I hope you manage to achieve this. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1