A Randomized Single-Blind Controlled Trial of a Prototype Digital Polytherapeutic for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by InNeedOfHelp, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Thank you for the breakdown @Hazel, as, to be honest, I didn't read much further than the two paragraphs beyond that exciting headline.

Put that down to disinterest really, as my take here is/was: if any auditory stimulus is going to be effective, it's going to be effective only when coupled with electrical stimulation (yes I'm talking about the Shore device).

So if the University of Auckland is telling me "damn, people are feeling gooood after listening to this sound we generated on their cheap tinny phone speakers", then my first though is "damn, when you add 20 years of research into signal timing to the mix, those people are going to feel REALLY goooood".

But as you say, just more of the same. Another sound therapy app to add to the list of 9000 sound therapy apps you can choose from. More self-reporting, with the researchers probably playing some sort of elaborate game of charades with the participants over the table, in an effort to have them report the most impressive looking results.

As far as I'm concerned, Shore's head zapper is last chance saloon for anything involving sound therapy. And if that doesn't work, I don't want to hear another thing about that approach as a tinnitus treatment again.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      E1496D8D-CEDA-4FAE-B06F-53BCC6D015CA.gif

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      I disagree. I think it's hugely important to keep discussing this, but I think we need to help tinnitus researchers in their various establishments shift the focus from self-reported patient outcomes to objectively measurable ones.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Agreed. Precise measurements should be a main priority at this point. Objective measurements will make evaluations of potential tinnitus treatments more simple to determine.

Let's hope the Bionics Institute can deliver the goods.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. ThomasF
      Creative

ThomasF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably loud music
      The attempts at pharmaceutical or even mechanical aids to fix tinnitus and its causes are much more my speed. Sound therapy seems like the thinnest barrier of entry and it's been done to death. They've figured out pharmaceutical solutions to conditions like epilepsy and PBA. There is likely one for the brain based part of tinnitus. Fixing the ear, cochlea, and its associated tissues has got to be in the cards.

I don't want to sound ungrateful for the attempt, I just want to put my emotional energy into stuff that actually wants to "fix" the problem and not cover it up.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    6. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      My wish is that, for you and other like-minded people, the research community is able to deliver a pharmaceutical solution for you. I don’t have the luxury of time and for me personally, I take almost no medicines and prefer it that way. For these reasons any relief I can find, anything that gives me more good days now is my goal. I hope we all find what we’re looking for.

George

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Faff

Faff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Searchfield's been working on this sort of thing for a while. Even if it ultimately ends up being little more efficacious than other options, I appreciate the push towards more personalised therapies and more accurate tinnitus avatars. With any luck the theories explored in this kind of work can be used to greater effect in combination with other approaches down the line.

I found his contributions to The Behavioural Neuroscience of Tinnitus quite interesting and if I recall correctly Searchfield's clinic has some ongoing research around more accurate measurement beyond self-reporting too, so I hope it all bears fruit. If I manage to get in the same room as him this year I'll certainly ask about it.

The sensational headlines about an app are pretty frustrating though.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @InNeedOfHelp, I just can't feel your optimism. We are clinging onto Dr. Shore's device. If this silly mobile app is cited as a 'breakthrough cure' by ScienceDaily, then it's ridiculous. It's about as much use as a Lenire. These products have some big financing behind them to throw them into mainstream but are generally a pile of bollock$.

9. Fightthearmy

Fightthearmy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      work-related
      It is a good study. It shows that it does not work.

10. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      I'm also hopeful about this new avenue. It might expand our knowledge of what influences tinnitus long-term.

Or what are the things that have the worst effect on tinnitus. Loud noise, flu, COVID-19, the various pharmaceuticals.

It might even throw light on hyperacusis, e.g., using long-term comparative studies.

Kind of like gallows humour. The scientists tell us after all the millions of man-hours and $ in research: "Like, we think we know what it is, we don't know how to cure it, but boy we sure can tell you if you've got it and we can even measure it..." :cool:

11. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      THIS. Yes, I was thinking sound therapy has had its day. People with reactive tinnitus, hearing loss and hyperacusis are hardly jumping for joy when they hear sound therapy. It's either restore auditory input, which in the near term (<10 years) can only be achieved through technology, not regeneration, or modulate the brain with pharmaceutical or electrical modulation. Any new invention or trial playing sounds (for me) gets brushed aside.

I was listening to a BBC interview from 2008. Dr. De Ridder was implanting electrodes (sometimes successfully) back then and Berthold Langguth was doing TMS.

BBC: Longing for Silence

So to move forward 15 years and have studies on sound therapy is retrograde, like a dial up modem.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1