A Sudden Pop Followed by Crackling — Possible ETD or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Support' started by makeyourownluck, Apr 16, 2022.

1. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone,

2 days ago I was sitting minding my own business when suddenly I heard a pop in my right ear (the one where I experience intense pressure). For about 5 minutes anytime I moved my jaw, pressed behind my ear, or moved my head to the left, my ear would make this crackling sound.

At the time I was freaking out thinking, f**k, I hope this is not permanent! But now I’m wondering if I should be considering my pressure feeling to be ETD?

My right ear feels exactly the same still, almost like whatever moved, didn’t move far. It was such a strange thing. Anyone had this happen? My tinnitus did not change at all during the incident (that is caused by hearing loss), but if I could get rid of this pressure, my condition would be far more liveable.

2. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      This sounds like you cracked your TMJ, similar to cracking your knuckles. The crackling/crunching sound should go away by the next day.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the input. Has this happened to you before? My jaw does crack occasionally, but only a loud pop when opening/closing my mouth. This was different.

Is it possible to crack yor TMJ without moving your jaw? The pop happened when I was just sitting reading. I only noticed the crackling with jaw movement after the fact.

Also, is TMJ the different to TMD?

4. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      TMJ = Temporomandibular joint. Everyone has that.

TM(J)D = Temporomandibular (joint) disorder. You don't want that.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank for the clarification. Unfortunately, I think I am destined for it. Ground my teeth since I was 8, and my dad has it bad. Genetic weaknesses suck!

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Hey, @makeyourownluck,

I think I’m experiencing something similar. If I end up talking too much, my left ear out of nowhere will make a popping/crackling sound. Head movements can trigger it too sometimes. I get ear fullness afterwords. It takes a short while for it to settle down. I’m thinking its ETD with the possibility of TMJ issues. I’ve recently been applying some saline gel with aloe inside my nostrils and I think it might be helping to solve the pressure issues related to the Eustachian tubes. Also this was recommended by @MindOverMatter, I added bioflavonoid to my stack of supplements, so that also could be playing a role too. I’ve been taking it for a month now.

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Interesting @ZFire.

Mine does not seem to be correlated to excessive talking or anything like that. It has only happened once in almost 10 months, I am not able to replicate it whatsoever. It really did feel like fluid moving around.

I do saline nasal rinses, so my sinuses are completely clear, it’s just my ear that feels full. Occasionally if I blow my nose my right ear will squeal which never happens in my left ear. I’m wondering if there is some mucus in there that’s refusing to budge. I have pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear also.

What bioflavonoids are you taking? I’ve taken them for several years due to other issues. Maybe the brands I’m getting aren’t great.

If you don’t mind me asking, do you have any hearing loss? Is your ear fullness a constant?

• Like Like x 1
    8. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m taking Nature’s Life Bioflavonoids (1000mg per day). It also contains Hesperidin & Rutin.

No detectable hearing loss. My audiogram was very good in fact. The Tympanometry at the time did find slight negative ear pressure and the audiologist said I was congested. I’m still not really satisfied with the results from the audiogram though. I feel like something is off with my hearing. I sometimes have difficulty hearing speech with background noise. It’s possible I may have some hidden hearing loss which I hear is difficult to measure. Not sure really.

The ear fullness is not constant. It comes on at random times and can last anywhere from a few hrs to a day or 2. I had good stretches recently where the ear fullness was gone for like almost 3 full weeks. I’m going to be trying a nasal steroid spray soon.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      makeyourownluck
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey @ZFire, somehow I missed this reply. I just bought these and will report back in a few months. I have not experienced any other popping symptoms, seems like it was a one off. The fullness is ever present, I really hope it isn’t permanent.

Did you do a speech in noise test? I did one and it was OK, the classic ‘within normal range’. I didn’t get the pressure test though, and go between thinking my Eustachian tubes are blocked, or too open.

I hate ears.

• Like Like x 1
    10. ZFire
      Pacman

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yup, I got the same “within normal range” confirmation by the audiologist from that test as well.

Good to hear that the popping stuff seems to have been a one time thing. As for the fullness, I’ve read from elsewhere that it could take many months for it to go away completely.

I haven’t had any ear fullness since last we spoke but still having issues with the popping. Every time I swallow I hear a popping/clicking sound. Annoying as F.