A Tinnitus Beginner — Stress and Lack of Physical Exercise May Have Contributed

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LizC, Apr 28, 2020.

1. LizC

LizC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi. I've had this humming for probably over 15 years but it would come and go and I attributed it to fatigue and stress. Last week, it didn't go away. And has been with me ALL THE TIME. I'm not used to this. And it can make me panicky. It is a higher pitched hum, sort of like a cicada noise, and is in both ears. I wish it would stop and I could hear silence again.

I think stress and lack of physical exercise may have contributed - given the current pandemic realities and having to stay in my home, only going out once a week to grocery shop. I can get distracted from the sound when I'm doing things around the house, and participating in zoom calls for work.

My brother has tinnitus and used this site and it saved him. Hoping to find encouragement and strength to help with the panic and fear.

I'm trying to make an appointment with my doctor but the medical offices are all closed due to COVID-19. Not sure if I can get appointments for assessment.

Tinnitus Talk is awesome with many wonderful threads, and support. Glad I'm on it.

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum @LizC .
      As far as the reason for the T increase, there are many causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including by not limited to stress and lack of exercises. Thing like drug reaction or side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube infection or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion, TMJ, TTTS, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head trauma & injury, neck injury or muscle problems, SSHL, gradual hearing loss due to aging, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from sudden change of air pressure such as during landing & taking off on flights especially with blocked nose causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief for the loss of loved ones, untreated sleep apnea, anxiety & panic disorder, sleep deprivation, etc., etc.

T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc.

If your tinnitus can be traced to a fixable cause, it will be so much better. But usually if you stay positive and calm and give it some time, things should inprove. Good luck. God bless.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LizC

LizC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you Billie! I talked with my doctor today and that was very helpful too. I am also getting a referral to a ENT that my brother (who is also on this site for his tinnitus) likes working with. I am experimenting with white noise/masking to see if that helps. This site was a blessing - it allowed me to think so differently about the sounds in my head - and not to be afraid of them or push them away but to accept them as best I can and look forward, past them. I was panicky, but after coming to this site, I was not panicky because so many things I read helped me to calm down. Thank you for your support! Really means a lot!

• Hug Hug x 1