Acupuncture Caused HORRIBLE Tinnitus Spike — WHY?!

Discussion in 'Support' started by TinaRuns, Mar 4, 2022.

1. TinaRuns

TinaRuns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / perforation
      I received Acupuncture 6 days ago from someone who should be good -- he is a professor at a local Chinese medicine school and from 6 generations of Chinese medicine doctors. He seemed to know what he was doing. My tinnitus was actually not doing too badly when I saw him. I was there for a digestive issue and wasn't even planning to get acupuncture (was asking about his medicine as a friend recommended him -- I'm not into this kind of thing just figured it couldn't hurt).

Boy was I wrong!! I've had an absolutely horrible spike from my tinnitus. He put needles behind my ear. The first few hours / rest of the same day, the sound was kind of weird and maybe slightly more mellow. But overnight the first night I woke up with a horrible spike. It has fluctuated since then but stayed higher than my baseline and I continue to get really bad overnight spikes, which I wasn't having before.

My ENT is baffled, and so am I.

I know spikes often go back down but usually that happens before 6 days, at least for me.

Does anyone know why this might happen? Did he break a nerve or something?! And has anyone experienced acupuncture and had a spike that went back down?

I would appreciate hearing any hopeful news. Thank you!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      Can acupuncture needles cause a CSF leak?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      When my hyperacusis was severe I had several acupuncture sessions at a Chinese clinic and it always relieved my symptoms although the relief was short lived, as hyperacusis would flare up again in the presence of noise...

• Informative Informative x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TinaRuns

TinaRuns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea what that even is! But thank you for the suggestion. Now I'm off to do some research. And of course the only question that matters to me is, if that or anything similar has happened, how in the world would I fix it?

I do think this guy was experienced and also went to real medical school in China. So I'm assuming he would know where to put the needles but to cause harm.

Thanks very much for your suggestion!

5. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TinaRuns

TinaRuns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you. I've read a bunch of threads at this point. The scary thing is that for some people, it never resolved. That's always the danger and reason I stay terrified.

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. FlatDarkEarth

FlatDarkEarth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert (2017)
      When I have spikes they can sometimes last for a number of weeks; it may be that you just need more time.

I'm sorry that you're having trouble from something that was sought out to provide relief. This makes me really rethink my curiosity on getting acupuncture for tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TinaRuns

TinaRuns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you. Obviously I would zero percent recommend it at this point. I've just started taking NAC, Curcumin, and Magnesium, and praying that this spike does not last. For me, most spikes resolve within a day or two.

I should say that I had another recent very noticeable spike, three weeks ago, from a root canal re-do. The volume went down one day the first week but otherwise stayed higher, and relatively steady (maybe slightly improved), for about two weeks.

Then I received the acupuncture and the spike was off the charts, and also included about 3 new sounds I've never heard before. Those extra sounds have mostly calmed down. But the even higher than the dental drilling spike has continued. I received the acupuncture 6.5 days ago.

Jesus this has been so devastating because my tinnitus was caused by a perforated eardrum after an infection, which required surgery in April of 2021. That was extremely terrifying and the tinnitus was unbearable but there was hope. Now there's not much hope if a spike doesn't resolve.

Maybe my case is different but I would never, ever have anyone put needles in my neck again unless they were holding a gun to my head as the only alternative. And even then I might have to seriously consider all options.

9. FlatDarkEarth

FlatDarkEarth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert (2017)
      Thanks for sharing your perspective on all this. I will hold off on any acupuncture for sure.

Funny enough I actually have to get some crowns redone and a cavity fixed. I've asked they use no supersonic instruments but after your comment and another on dental work I saw today, I am really worried about that now, too.

Do you feel your dental experience was truly a spike or something lasting? Any idea what part of the procedure aggravated it?

I'm praying for this to resolve for you. Perhaps try some supplements or steroids in the meantime?

10. bigfoot

bigfoot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I find significant relief from acupuncture. It lowers my volume within hours of treatment.

I also have cranial sacral modality as well which is equally effective. I would not go to just any acupuncturist/cranial sacral practitioner. Not all of them are good at what they do.

• Like Like x 1
    11. CC_16

CC_16 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Upper respiratory infection
      It shouldn't cause a spike.

Acupuncture is supposed to help.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I had the same experience in the early days when I tried this and Cranial Sacral massages. My tinnitus was quiet prior to the acupuncture, and my ears were screaming after.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1