ADHD Medications — Would They Help to Concentrate with Tinnitus and Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by 3ri0w, Dec 21, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

I have read that stimulants make tinnitus worse for some people and some people have to quit coffee etc. Yet I wonder if ADHD medication would help people with tinnitus to concentrate? Or are sedatives the only way?

Oh also! Would ADHD meds help with hyperacusis?
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

3. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

4. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

How about now......any replies? :puppykisses:
    5. glynis-harbron

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

England, Stoke-on-Trent
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi ,
      Sorry to say this would be a question for your doctor or ENT.....lots of love glynis
    6. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Yea :) Thank you for answering
    7. Vaba

Vaba Member

New New York
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I tried amphetamine salts (w/ a prescription) at one point. They make you SUPER concentrated. They worked for me until I built a tolerance up, but that's only because I don't suffer from anxiety about my T, just depression.

I'd say if you're SUPER ANXIOUS about T, constantly checking it every 2 seconds, you probably wouldn't get much out of it as it raises your awareness of stimuli and, as a dual action, stimulates your nervous system, sharpening your senses - it can very well raise the volume of T, temporarily.

But don't take my word for it; the only way to really know is to try it. Like glynis said, talk to your doc. If you DO try it and DO enjoy it, please do not abuse it, it is highly addictive and can be very dangerous in general for off-label (read ADHD) uses.