Advice As Soon As Possible Please — Doctor Suggesting Arthroscopy

Discussion in 'Support' started by no life, Feb 15, 2016.

1. no life

no life Member

I went to the maxillo facial today and I got the results of my mri on my jaw joint it shows that my dices have slipped forward, he said I need a Arthroscopy were there look at the joint though a camera and wash it out. So has anyone had this done? I'm really scared it's gonna make my T worse, he didn't say anything about it helping my T just that it will help with the pain. My T is much quieter since iv been on amitriptyline it's not like I'm in pain everyday, I'm not sure what to do for the best. So if anybody has been though it I'd like to here your experience. And did it help with the T.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      no life

no life Member

??

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I'm in the same boat and told need the same procedure done.
      Gave me 6 month to decide that was 6 weeks ago about.....
      Im thinking same as you and worried if get scars that are visible .
      I want ask more questions before I make my mind up.
      My face gets painful and crunches and cracks every time I open and close my mouth and my mouth is restricted when open it.. .......lots of love glynis

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      no life

no life Member

I was told there wouldn't be any scaring, I dot get face ache every so often, my jaw don't click but I can hear it grinding I don't really no what to do. Was you not offered this early on at the start of all this?

5. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      If that site is the cause of your T, then I think it will make the T worse as the area is inflamed from the procedure, but in the longrun I gotta think this will be way better for your T.
      If the site isn't the cause of your T, then i doubt it will matter.
      Either way I think the procedure is the way to go, especially if your advising physician has experience with this and believes in its efficacy.
      I don't have much knowledge but I think this is a reasonable assessment.
      I wish only the best for you,
      --Jonathan

6. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      Please keep us posted!!! I have tmj as well..

7. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Had the problem 34 yrs.
      In my teens had a day guard then night guard .
      I have a softer food diet when need it so just going find out more before I decide.
      Other option is wear a day guard as stops it happening.....lots of love glynis

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      no life

no life Member

I will do

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      no life

no life Member

Is there any other way to help the dice back into the right place without surgery?, iv already had the night gard,

10. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I have to wear mine all the time now so that keeps everything in line but can have the opp as said I'm a good candidate for it.
      Like you wonder how it will effect my ears or spike menieres,so for now he gave me a few months to decide.....lots of love glynis

11. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @no life
      I had that surgery done almost 2 years ago and my jaw functions much better now and it didn't make my tinnitus worse.

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      I can't find a dentist or doctor that will do an MRI on my jaws..mine cruntches on right side but not painful.splint seemed to throw my bite off more.so I quit wearing it.oral surgeon just told me to open mouth real wide...to stretch muscles.I need MRI done...

13. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      Ooo... Spiking menieres, I didn't think about that. Yeah that would be ugly. More risk for you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      no life

no life Member

MyUOTE="jeannie, post: 164905, member: 2184"]I can't find a dentist or doctor that will do an MRI on my jaws..mine cruntches on right side but not painful.splint seemed to throw my bite off more.so I quit wearing it.oral surgeon just told me to open mouth real wide...to stretch muscles.I need MRI done...[/QUOTE]
      My dentist sent me for a mri, I said I was in so much pain even though I wasn't in that much pain, if I didn't play on it they wouldn't have sent me. The pain is getting worser my whole face hurts at times.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      no life

no life Member

Is there a chance that my jaw could heal buy itself, you've had it for years was you not offered this op early on?

16. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      They only do the operation if it's to bad and got progressively worse now...lots of love glynis

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      no life

no life Member

Do you think having this done will help my ears feel less stuffy.

18. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I really don't know and like you wonder how successful it will be ....lots of love glynis

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      no life

no life Member

Anyone else had Arthroscopy on there jaw

20. Gabowsa

Gabowsa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      not shure yet whether I have Tinnitus or not
      Did you have the arthroscopy? BTW I just found this on the net, this might help:

"
      A retrospective evaluation of the impact of temporomandibular joint arthroscopy on the symptoms of headache, neck pain, shoulder pain, dizziness, and tinnitus.
      Steigerwald DP, Verne SV, Young D.
      Abstract
      Forty-three patients who underwent arthroscopic surgery for arthrogenous TMD were polled concerning the effect of surgery on the symptoms of headache, neck pain, shoulder pain, dizziness and tinnitus. Statistically significant levels of symptom reduction were recorded for all symptoms polled. This indicates that a substantial number of significant symptoms are produced by the influence of temporomandibular joint pathology on central neural processes. A model for the affect of temporomandibular joint pathology on cervical and masticatory musculature is proposed. This data implies that we cannot use muscle tenderness, hypertonicity and/or pain to differentiate arthrogenous from myogenous temporomandibular disorders. The characteristics of a population of whiplash onset TMD patients were compared to other TMD populations. The results indicate that whiplash induced TMD may differ from insidious onset TMD and even other trauma onset TMDs by prevalence of neck pain, intensity of neck pain and probability of concurrence of neck pain, shoulder pain, headache and jaw pain. These symptoms resolved within 24 hours of arthroscopic temporomandibular joint surgery indicating that the temporomandibular joint pathology was the perpetuating force behind, if not the cause of, these symptoms."

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9086876
      "

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      no life

no life Member

22. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Hi there, did you have it done?? im also having tinnitus and offered arthroscopy. thank you!