Advice on How to Deal with Actually Loud Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dubbyaman, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to deal with loud tinnitus. I know a lot on here have it. What I mean by loud is t that is actually in your face and cant be masked by anything. I have a high pitched siren in my left ear that is CLEARLY in the foreground and background sound is behind it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and those of you whos t goes away with simply turning on a fan, be grateful!!!!

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Not sure Dubby mine is in my left ear too and I have pain also .....sometimes it takes every bit of strength just to make it through the day.....hang in there man

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      I know what you mean man. Its very stressful

4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I have had very intrusive T for two years now, I think I'm going to try some in ear maskers to cut the shrill sound, even if I can't mask I'm hoping that it helps take off the edge a bit. No idea what type, still looking at options.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

6. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      ^ yea I just tried that before going to bed, slept for an hour and a half and now I'm awake with my head ringing Like crazy....
      I understand hearing loss and whatnot, but what the hell kind of stupid thing is tinnitus that the body does, it mentally completely corrupts itself. Now I'm laying on the couch with the TV on hoping it'll settle down soon so I can get to sleep.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. JustMakingIT
      Wisdomatic

JustMakingIT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10\2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise/medication?
      I know how you feel—I sometime get it so bad that it is hard to not notice it during the day, I get spikes that drum the zinging buzzard into the foreground not matter what I do. As for me, I think the ear maskers sound interesting. I've wanted to try that, but my insurance will not cover it, my T is not considered a health issue. I'm saving though. As for me, I use pink noise—some use white noise—but I love pink noise, it blends into the surrounding around me and is at the same decibel as my T, and is more natural (like rain, or wind in the trees). But I struggle with it no less, but it's been like this for so long my brain has come to accept it and has started to filter it out (when at a normal decibel, until it 'spikes' for whatever reason, then I have to recondition). I hope this post helps a little. I've had mild to bad T for so long, it usually only bothers me when trying to sleep, so I use melatonin to nock me out—natural and safe, as long as you follow the instructions on the bottle, it is dangerous if you take too much, you will sleep through anything, like an alarm to get up and go to work!

At night I suggest some sort of white noise, there are tests online where you can match the decibel of your T, and then find a white noise that does the same http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ (be careful, this can sometimes make your T worse after testing, usually only for a while, since your brain is focusing on the noise), plus if too loud it can hurt your ears. But there is brown noise, pink noise, and white noise (as most know. I don't like white noise, too aggressive for me). My two cents. I'm still struggling, even after 5 yrs at times to deal with my T, like when it decides to be a jerk and spike, but it spikes often when I'm stressed.

• Like Like x 1