Advice on MRI vs. Biopsy — How Is the MRI Noise? Can It Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JT1973, Feb 21, 2020.

1. JT1973

JT1973 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi All,

I am new to this forum and I am seeking advice. My urologist wants me to either have a prostate biopsy or MRI due to elevated PSA levels. Originally I thought I should go with the MRI to avoid the antibiotics needed for the biopsy. Now the more I read about MRI's and the noise associated with it I am not sure which way I should go. The antibiotics they want me to take for the biopsy are 1 shot of Gentamycin at the time of the procedure and then 4 doses of Cipro after the procedure.

My tinnitus spiked a few weeks ago at the time of a sinus infection. I was given Augmentin and everytime I would lake it in a couple hours the Tinnitus would get loud. After a few days the Tinnitus was almost constant and at that point I stopped taking it. I had a hearing test and I was diagnosed with mild to moderate hearing loss. Since I have recovered from the sinus infection and been off Augmentin my tinnitus has been gradually declining. The last thing I want to do is undergo testing that is going to make it bad again.

Questions for the forum:
      Have you had an MRI and did it impact your tinnitus negatively? Was it permanent or temporary?

If you have had a prostate biopsy, are you aware of antibiotics that can be used that are less Ototoxic than Gentamycin or Cipro?

I am at a point I where I don't want to do either and continue to monitor my PSA over time. I know my urologist doesn't like this idea.

I appreciate any thoughts on this.

2. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Neck-induced tinnitus here. Although I don't have hearing damage, I got a "silent" MRI to prevent possible extra issues with my tinnitus. Took a few hours extra to drive, but this device did not generate more than 70 dB (unlike standard MRI's that can go up to 110 dB), and with added ear protection the sounds did not get louder than a heavy vacuum cleaner.

Scan results were high quality, and I experienced no spike at all, even though my tinnitus could get quite aggravated by external frequencies.

3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I had a MRI years ago and it didn't adversely affect my tinnitus. Hope all goes well either way.

4. Audiophile_bg
      Furious

Audiophile_bg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Olanzapine/MRI
      What was the machine that you had the scan on?

Thanks.

5. Audiophile_bg
      Furious

Audiophile_bg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Olanzapine/MRI
      Yes the MRI scan I had in December caused a return of my tinnitus. So be careful, wear ear plugs beneath the earphones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Two things:

1 Look for a quiet MRI. Toshiba makes them, or some open ones are preferred.

2 Use double hearing protection. Call the MRI in advance, tell them you are bringing earplugs, and they need to supply compatible ear muffs. Do not use the headphones as they are not protective in many cases, but just play music and give instructions.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, multiple people had posted here that they got tinnitus (or got a tinnitus spike) following having an MRI done. None of them had reported their tinnitus fading afterwards. One person found an MRI that was supposed to be quiet, and it was still loud enough to give him a permanent spike. If you can avoid having an MRI, don't have one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Canon 3 Tesla MRI-scanner.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      An MRI is really really loud. And many people on these forums reported that it damaged their hearing. If you go for an MRI carry earmuffs (without any metal on them) and earplugs too.

10. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I had an MRI 6 years ago and as a result I have tinnitus and hyperacusis. I don't have anything before taking this exam, which was very, very loud. One of the antibiotics you cited ė admittedly ototoxic.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had an MRI in November which spiked my tinnitus for about a week. The second week it faded back to baseline. I only wore foam earplugs (NRR33) , because I had a cage-like mask over my head and there was not enough room for an earmuff. If you decide on the MRI, try to chose an open one and double protection.

It's a very hard decision, because both gentamycin and cipro can worsen or cause tinnitus as well.

12. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I had two MRIs for my lower back, spaced roughly a year apart, using earplugs as protection. Neither affected my tinnitus in any way. I don't recall whether they were "silent" ones but the noise wasn't bad.

However, at that time I wasn't aware of the risks of MRIs on tinnitus. Today, I'd only go for a MRI if it was absolutely essential and even then I'd pay whatever I had to to go for a "silent" machine.

• Agree Agree x 1